Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I caught him, but it sure wasn't easy. Total leash clip failure, and I still don't know what happened because we'd made it almost all the way around the block - his harness and the leash seemed very secure. It's a spring clip, like a carabiner where the straight edge just pushes in and springs shut.

Anyway, because he happened to be focused on a rescue dog walking across the road (where the rescue is), he headed straight there at top speed. That was the good part (and no cars driving by, thankfully), that he was going somewhere specific that wasn't too far away. As I ran over, I called to the gal who was walking the rescue dog (a little terrier name Jebby) to hang on and that Cobber's not going to hurt anyone.

She was really upset, yelled back that they were fighting - they weren't, they were being terriers, running up to each other then backing away and dancing around in circles; it's apparently great fun, and no teeth were involved at all. So (I was still running) I tried to say again that it's okay, but she was flipping out.

Then I got there and, of course, every time I got within a millimeter of Cobber's collar, he danced to the side and kept playing with Jebby, who was also dancing around playing just as much. And the girl kept dancing around too, like Cobber was a rabid Baskerville Hound and she didn't want to be near him (he wasn't the least bit interested in her).

Being the calm person I am, I confess to swearing pretty emphatically a couple times when I came *so* close to grabbing him but landed on my knees instead (I'm not as young and spry as I used to be) :eek:. I had treats with me, but nothing that was more interesting than a friend to play with. Anyway, I caught him after just 30 seconds or so, but it seemed an eternity. And the girl couldn't pull Jebby away fast enough as I said "I'm sorry" to her while clipping the leash back on.

I'm embarrassed by Cobber's behavior but not at all surprised by it. I'd love for him to be proofed on recall or even "sit" once I got there. But apparently all our training in that regard hasn't gotten anywhere when he's got a potential new friend to play with.

So, no question from me, just feeling very shaky after what was a pretty close call that could've gone a lot worse than it did. I guess I wish the gal had been a little less freaked out, but having said that, I've been the person walking my dog when another dog breaks loose and comes running at us, so I know it can be disconcerting. She's also probably never seen terriers play. I can only imagine what she'll be putting in her walking log back at the rescue. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Glad everything was fine and that the other dog wasn't reactive. Sucks that the owner couldn't calm down (or pick up her dog?).

Keep working on that recall/sit in new places. Make it the most rewarding thing ever-I've actually practiced having a friend get Koda all riled up and recalls in that state of mind, call her to me, and her reward was a treat and getting to run back to my friend who would repeat. We went until just before she was so tired that she fell over, lol. It's tough but you CAN do it if I can do it :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
The absolute most reliable clip is the bull clip

Bull Clip, Sarabah Saddlery

you have to grab the 'mouth' and pull it open, then it snaps back shut.

you don't really need that kind of clip for a terrier, but I don't trust the kind of clip you show, it's just to easy for the dog to be in the bushes or something and the body of the clip gets pushed which opens it and then with some sliding the other part finds the opening and BAM dog is free.

I suggest you go with the classic clip like on this leash

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but I don't trust the kind of clip you show, it's just to easy for the dog to be in the bushes or something and the body of the clip gets pushed which opens it and then with some sliding the other part finds the opening and BAM dog is free.
That is EXACTLY what happened, and I was able to make it fail just like that again later back when we were indoors. So now I can never trust that leash (brand new). I'm going to try taking it back to Petco, but since I've removed the tags and used it -- and it shows from the grass and dirt it's been dragged through -- I'm not sure they'll take it back. I need the other clip, what you describe as the "classic clip," like the last leash I used with no problems at all.

Anyway, this morning when I took Cobber to daycare, I opened the gate and he ran through as usual. He normally hightails it up the slope to where Julie (the owner) is waiting to let him into the "little dog" corral. This time, I start telling her the story and he turns around and comes right back to me. So I trot up the hill to get him headed up that way again, he seems to take off toward Julie, but as soon as I turn back toward the entrance, he comes running back to me. All while I'm telling her that he ran off and wouldn't come to me last night, he's basically making me look like a big fat liar. HA! After about 5 attempts, she and I manage to peel him off me and get him into the corral. He usually can't get away from me fast enough in the morning. What a stinker! ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts