Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to vent about this because it really bothered me. The business I work for had the building's "doggy playdate" today. While we were there this other walker (a big Cesar Milan fan, she's always doing those stupid "cchtz" noises and basically strangles the dogs she handles). She was at the run with a puppy even though we booked the dog run because she didn't know. Someone tried to get out of the run and this nervous little fluff ran out. This woman GRABS a 4 lb Pomeranian and scruffs her and holds her down in a terrified on her back position. I mean wtf? It pissed me off even more because this dog is generally nervous and also elderly, deaf, nearly toothless and has a deformed spine. Granted, that's not visible but what in hell would warrant grabbing a teensy weensy dog like that when the area outside the run is enclosed anyway? Seriously, it was clear to anyone who knows anything about dogs that she was scared, and we would've just gone after her and scooped her up. Ugh... I just want to tell all her clients she mistreats the dogs. But the awful this is she looks better/more in control than I do because I'm stupidly clumsy and walk the dogs on EZ walk harnesses and don't choke them.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Oh man, I'd have had a conniption fit on anyone who did that to Zody, much less Shadow when he was elderly, and severely arthritic. Given what you say about the Pom it might be worth it to let the owner know how the dog is being treated, an elderly dog simply should not be subjected to that type of man handling.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@traciek88 - I would go ballistic if someone put their hands on my dogs. Like seriously, murder charges. Are clients told what style their walker uses? Although I guess anyone can say anything.

Don't feel bad about looking clumsy or out of control. When I'm walking with my guys, I feel WAY better about people that are trying to teach the dog to walk nice than people dragging/choking/screaming at/pulling their dogs around by the neck.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't really know if people know their trainer's style. Honestly a lot of people don't even know about training styles period! For the most part people don't see the walkers walk their dogs. MOST of the dogs she walks are the larger ones like GSDs and so on, so I think people think they need a "firm hand" or some BS? I don't know. There's nothing I've seen her done to the dogs she handles that people would consider out of the ordinary for an "alpha" type dog trainer. Now if the Pom had been her client I might go and tell, but she was ours, which is angering in another way... But I guess I would feel uncomfortable or awkward telling her owner since she wasn't actually hurt or anything. Idk.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I don't get why people ever thought that was a ok thing to do to dogs. Especially in older dogs, it can cause or make medical conditions worse.
I would not be happy if any one did anything alpha/dominance training related with my dogs.
I'm slightly confused, what do you mean by the pom was "ours". Do you and the woman work for the same business?

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
*sigh*. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard those SHHHHHT!!! sounds during consultations for reactive/aggressive/resource-guarding dogs. Truthfully, I have never heard them during a private lesson (either one I've apprenticed, or one of my own) where the basis of the lesson wasn't aggression... 'Nuff said! LOL.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
poor pupper!

Are you comfortable bringing this incident up to your boss? Do you feel he/she would want to know and address how clients need to be handled?

Depending on outlook, he/she may not see an issue I suppose, BUT very well may. So many people expect gentle treatment/handling from those caring for their pets... Can be bad for business if incidents like this aren't addressed. Plus liability concerns. That rough handling could have injured a dog like that and even with dogs in good health, its a bite risk.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I know you hate this because it is essentially dog abuse, but like Kmes I would approach your boss from a risk standpoint, because many times, bosses are acutely interested in their own well being. If it were me, going along with the risk approach, I would suggest a nanny cam.
A little seed is planted talking about risk, and if the boss catches the abuse himself/herself on video, it is way more effective than descriptions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts