Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do most typical puppies behave?

Someone is trying to tell me my pup is very, very mis-behaved, yet it doesn't have half the problems listed below. (Maybe they're jealous I think, because I don't see anything wrong with him... Especially when he doesn't even chew on things apart from his toys.)

Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Do all puppies chew things up? Not all, but most like to chew? yeah?

All puppies occasionally pee or poo in the wrong place when they're young, even when they're being trained not too? Im guessing so?

Most puppies annoy people in some ways. e.g: biting an chewing on hands when trying to pat the puppy. The puppy walking all over you when you're trying to do something? Im guessing most puppies do this when they're little?

Some puppies won't go to sleep on time and become hyperactive an start running around? Im guessing this is completely normal?

The reason I'm asking these questions, is because someone is complaining about my dog, saying its mis-behaved and should be taken to the pound. I see nothing wrong with him, neither does most other people that I've introduced my boy too. Most of the things I've listed above he doesn't even seem to do, but according to this person, he's seen the puppy have these problems (Which is even really a problem, it's just something most puppies are born with right?)

Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I recently wrote a huuuugggeee post and I hit the backspace button but it didn't delete the letter, it re-directed the browser back to the previous page and deleted all my work (lol). I've just tried to summarise what I wrote before because I can't remember word-by-word what I wrote before.

Please help me, I don't think there is anything wrong with me dog. Some advice and opinions would be great! Thank you!

Josh

·
Registered
741 Posts
Hi Josh! Welcome! (cute dog btw)

I feel like those are all very typical puppy behaviors but they are all things that should be worked on - so you don't end up with an adult dog having the same issues.

Stick around the forum, you'll find lot's of good puppy help in the Stickies :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for your reply, and I sure am well working on them! :) I want him to grow up and be a good, loving, loyal dog.

Thank you, your dog is adorable. What's his name? :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That's all typical puppy behavior. As long as you're working with your puppy to manage these behaviors, then you're doing all you can. I have a 6.5 month old puppy who still chews on me and will, if given the chancw, chew on something he isn't supposed to. He also gets pretty cranky when he's overly tired.

Now, what circumstances has this person been in with your puppy that makes them think your pup should go to the pound? My guess is that this person just isn't a puppy person and wasn't prepared to deal with typical puppy behavior and got annoyed. I, admittedly, still get annoyed when Merlin wants to chew my hand instead of a toy. Thankfully, the instances of him chewing on me have decreased significantly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now, what circumstances has this person been in with your puppy that makes them think your pup should go to the pound? My guess is that this person just isn't a puppy person and wasn't prepared to deal with typical puppy behavior and got annoyed. I, admittedly, still get annoyed when Merlin wants to chew my hand instead of a toy. Thankfully, the instances of him chewing on me have decreased significantly.
To tell the honest truth, my girlfriend, I and a lot of other people seem to agree that it's just jealousy. My girlfriends step-dad always seems to find something to complain about and to compare against his grown up dog haha. But remember, his dog is sooo perfect :) lol

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
To tell the honest truth, my girlfriend, I and a lot of other people seem to agree that it's just jealousy. My girlfriends step-dad always seems to find something to complain about and to compare against his grown up dog haha. But remember, his dog is sooo perfect :) lol
Well, ok then haha. Not to sound rude, it sounds like someone needs to grow up...

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
...Wow! Clearly you have not stumbled across the fellow here whose puppy has learned to open doors in the house and get into trouble :rofl:

Puppies are like children in so, so, so many ways. Everyone has their personal opinion on how you should be raising them, and often they are best kept to oneself. Go to your local pound and take a look around at all the young dogs that got ditched there: On the whole, we're clearly not puppy-raising experts here in 21st century North America!!!

It's part of the learning curve but you really have to learn to rely on your gut and research when people try to tell you things about your dog. At times, the advice is totally backwards. And you haven't even gotten to the part where someone's dog starts picking on yours at the park and their owner tells you that your dog needs to toughen up... :eek: But it sounds like you're already learning to smile, nod, thank them for their advice and then go back to doing your own thing. That's a good start.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'd ask her if she's give her toddler up for adoption when she produces a great work of art in crayon on the wall, she decides that she's to busy to go to the potty so she wets her pants, she shoves crackers into the slot of the DVD player, she throws a tantrum in the middle of the grocery store, or when she takes your $500 cell phone and washes it in the toilet.

Puppies are not miniature dogs, just like toddlers are not miniature adults, they are babies and they have to be taught what to do. Be very, very grateful that puppies grow up so fast and you don't have to spend nearly 2 decades raising them to be responsible dog citizens.

Check this thread out, http://www.dogforum.com/puppy-help/i-thought-i-adopting-puppy-no-81722/ , I wrote it after reading the puppy forum for awhile and thinking back to when my old dog Shadow was a puppy.

Reactions: kelly528

·
Registered
741 Posts
His name is chewy ! :)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sounds normal to me.We can trade puppies then the other person will just think your puppy is psycho then,not misbehaved,lol.
P.S. Tell the other person to bag it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do all puppies chew things up?
Mine pups eat everything they can find!
twigs, leaves, cat poop, even chocolate... so we have to be very carefully during the walking time.
But inside the house they eat our: sofa, wallpaper, baseboards, etc.

All puppies occasionally pee or poo in the wrong place when they're young, even when they're being trained not too? Im guessing so? Ofcourse, He know he has to do it outside... but when he doesn't want to walk or he doesn't gets what he want (attention or something like that) he pee inside the house.... ;)

Most puppies annoy people in some ways. e.g: biting an chewing on hands when trying to pat the puppy. The puppy walking all over you when you're trying to do something? Im guessing most puppies do this when they're little?
Yes, our little sho bite us in our heels.... hihi, or our nouse.

Some puppies won't go to sleep on time and become hyperactive an start running around? Im guessing this is completely normal?
Yes, specially when he's playing to active, and he's annoying. he don't want to rest! Haha just like a todler who is crying: 'Im not tired mummy, I want to play-ay-ay-ay :('

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.