Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm quite confused by dog coat types. My understanding is that there is smooth, short, long, curly, wavy, rough, wire, corded, double coated, single coated, and hairless.

Is medium coat a thing?
Can smooth coated dogs like a boxer also be considered a short coat? I've heard smooth and short coats are used interchangeably, others say they are 2 separate classes, and have even heard that all smooth coated breeds are also short coated but not all short coats are smooth coats.
Is a smooth coated collie in the same smooth coat class as a boxer?
What exactly is a rough coat?

Sorry for all the questions, but there's so much conflicting info online :ponder:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
When you're describing your dog in layman's ferms, you can use whatever terminology makes sense to you, really.

So, for Collies. They come in a smooth coat and a rough coat. Smooth is really the same as short, rough is long (think Lassie).

The terminology depends widely on breed and breed standard. Border Collies also come in smooth and rough coats, but Chihuahuas are either short or long haired.

It can get confusing! Essentially, most people will know what your talking about no matter what. If you want to be more specific concerning a certain breed you'll have to check the standard :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you PoppyKenna! Although, I have a few more questions :eyeroll:
I had someone tell me that boxers, bulldogs, danes, dalmatians, etc are only smooth coated and to call them short coated is incorrect. Although in their AKC descriptions they all describe their coat as "short". Is it not correct to say short AND smooth, or is this person wrong? I'm also confused with smooth coated collies. Collies are double coated, right? But smooth coated breeds are supposed to be single coated. So are smooth collies in the same class as typical smooth coated dogs?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts