Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and have a question. We've recently inherited a couple of puppies that were in pretty bad shape, approx 5 weeks old (when we got them) we've done our best to get them back on the straight and narrow, fed 4 times a day on puppy food and baby dog milk with black strap molasses, vaccinated and de fleas and ticks. My question is what breed are they? We're led to believe they are pure Ridgeback but I can't seem to buy that. My guess is a cross, the vets think boerboel x ridgeback, my guess is ridgeback x black mouth cur. Might be a bit young to tell, so I'm hoping some of you experts out there can help.... The suspense is killing me! We're not bothered either way, just nice to know... Thanks for any help, apologies for the pics, they are a bit shocking but I promise it is a 100% improvement from 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
By their ear set I would say they have some prick-eared breed in their background. It always seem s when you get a fawn colored dog with a black mask that they say Ridgeback but that color can appear in several different breeds.

Sometimes know what breeds are most common in your area helps. If there are a lot of Pit types, or German Shepherds, hounds, etc. you may see some of them as the puppies get older.

·
Registered
713 Posts
It always seem s when you get a fawn colored dog with a black mask that they say Ridgeback but that color can appear in several different breeds.
I think they are suspecting Ridgeback because of the apparent ridge along the back that you can see in the photos. There are a few other breeds that have a ridge or can throw similar reverse hair growth patches, but those are rare in the US or don't throw the entire ridge of the spine like in the photos. So I would have to agree that Rhodesian Ridgeback is definitely in there. The pups look a bit more houndy than your typical Rhodie, but that could be because they're so skinny in the photos. Once they've grown up and filled out it may be easier to tell, in the meantime you can try looking at pics of purebred Ridgebacks to determine which of their features different that a Ridgeback so you can figure out what they're mixed with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
May be a Labrador and Hound mix. Not sure, but seems from the face. However, it looks very weak. Please take good care of it.

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
Don't know about pure, but ridgeback is primary.

It upsets me to no end to see animals mistreated. Good on you for taking the poor buggers in and giving them a chance at life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great advice. We live in Zambia, so RR were once very popular here, but since people have left, the dogs were unfortunately left behind and in a place when generally animals aren't that highly regarded you get all sorts of breeding going on. One thing for certain is that there is a lot of boarboels, pit bulls, German shepards, black mouth cur and other breeds about, so we think it's a mix with one of these - given by the high set ears. Ridgebacks tend to have more dachshund type ears that sit lower. We saw the mother, so we are certain they are at least 50% ridgeback, she was def pure breed - and unfortunately was in as bad shape as these two. We're on a mission to rescue her as well. Coco the smaller of the two, we've discovered had a broken fema which has set incorrectly and she is walking like a dog with hip dysplacia , but the vet has advised that we wait till she's a bit older to consider doing anything about it.

Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
669 Posts
Boerboels have ears more like a ridgeback, not high set like these pups. My guess is the father was some kind of GSD/black mouth cur mix. The coloring is very cur, and the ears seem like typical shepherd/hound ears, so that's my guess.

You'll be able to tell a little better once they gain some weight and as they start going- guessing breeds on healthy puppies is difficult, and guessing breeds on emaciated pups is almost impossible.

Good on you for getting them into a better situation!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have a GSD/cur mix and those ears look just like his do. So I would definitely say there is something like that in there! They are extremely cute though and good on you taking them in and giving them love! Good luck with them and keeps us updated!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will update again once they have done a bit of growing and we can pin it down a bit more.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Black mouth Cur/Ridgeback is my guess

1 - 13 of 13 Posts