Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I got a wonderful rescue dog named Texas about 17 months ago and everything has been fine until now. We have been giving him dry dog food and all of the sudden he started having diarrhea and we were worried. I took him to a vet and they said give him steamed rice and chicken along with his meds and it should clear up and it did. After 5 days they told me to switch back to dog food and it started again.

After a day or two or two went back to chicken and rice and it was gone and went to another brand of food and this morning the Diarrhea started again and I don't want to take him to the vet but not sure what to do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Which foods were you feeding/switching to? Diarheaa is common after switching foods so it may just be that and not the same issue as before
I second what @sullyrules said... Your dog could have been intolerant to the first food, done well with the whole cooked food, and then got diarrhea from the second food because of the switch. It is very common when suddenly switching foods for a dog to have stomach upset (vomit, diarrhea, etc).

For future reference, if you are going to switch your dog to a different food, you should ween them off of the other food but slowly introducing the new food over the course of a week. I.e., (depending on how much you feed) day one and two - 1/4 new, 3/4 old. Day three and four, 1/2 new, 1/2 old. Day five and six, 3/4 new, 1/2 old. Day seven all new.

Hope this helps! If the diarrhea continues, I would definitely go back to the cooked food and consult with your vet!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Dogs can become intolerant of a protein if fed for a long time the same one.
If you are feeding grainfree that's okay, but chicken and beef could be your problem too.......I would try a novel protein like bison, fish, duck, etc.
Also try add canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to his food... that should firm up his stools.
A good explanation for food allergies is Dr Karen Becker's "How to Control Dog Food Allergies"
I have also heard that many dogs can't handle high protein kibble, but that is usually small dogs.......

Reactions: Rain
1 - 4 of 4 Posts