Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Spasms are often times diagnosed as seizures. Slipped or damaged discs can look like a seizure.

A good neurologist vet should be able to guide diagnosis the right way. There's no real way to guess a seizure of spasm, need MRI.

Being an old dog "13" is not an excuse to say "it's not worth it". I would pay $2k for MRI at 13 just as I would do the same if dog was 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, MRI is not a path for surgery, it's just to see what the issue might be, and serves as a guide for meds.

Post grand mal my Frenchie was just hot and slow, she would lay in her bed until she had enough muscle to get up and move. Of the times she moved too soon she was weak, stumbly, and a bit confused. I tried to always keep her cool during and after a seizure (usually just a fan). Seizures can make their internal temps rise quite a bit.

After grand mal my Frenchie would then seek outside grass to do some business.

Grand mal means dog will be on lifetime of meds, and it's why I switched to Keppra that had low/no side effects on liver.

I don't think it's a gene mutation. More probably just a carrier of a gene for epilepsy. I have heard varying stories from vets, saying if seizures start early they can fade away as pet gets older, to, sometimes it just comes out later in life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts