Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Don't know for sure where you live, but if the neurologist in Los Angeles, you mentioned, is in Tustin, We have been there and I can not say enough positive things about them. It is a very busy place, but certainly, in our case, was well worth the inconvenience of getting there. If you are interested in pursuing that message me, I can give you more details of who we saw etc.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thank you for your reply. As an update, she had for the first time a full grand mal seizure last week. It lasted almost 10 minutes and completely unconscious. When she came too, she had all the usual post seizure symptoms, walking around, bumping in walls, not know who we were, etc. she recovered over night, and all symptoms were gone and she was back to being our normal doggy. We did start her on seizure meds and she is starting to show very minor spasms again, but nothing like before and she can go on walks again. We did see a neurologist a few days ago who was a little stumped and thought either some gene mutation or a brain tumor. They wanted 3,800 for an MRI but they couldn’t really give a good reason for the MRI since we put her on seizure meds anyhow. With her heart condition, she probably can’t undergo surgery. Thank you again.
Did you get into the Tustin clinic? Which doctor did you see? I agree $3800 seems a lot. When ours had an MRI, which was four and a half years ago, it was as I recall, about $2400.00. What anti-seizure med is she on. Ours is on phenobarbital, and fortunately has had no seizures since we started her on it. The side effects from that medication can be difficult to deal with, but five months in, she is adapting to it, slowly. Our girl will be fourteen in January, but she still has a lot of good days, and loves life. As long as her quality of life is good, we will do whatever to keep her going.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I ended up going to Dr Higgins in Ventura which is a closer neurologist who could get me in sooner. The risk with the MRI is putting her under with her heart condition and age. The meds she is on is Keppra which seems to have increased her appetite. She is doing pretty good, but still has some mild 1 second jitters which can occur several times in a minute. Nothing like before when she couldn’t go outside. She seems to be in good spirits, not suffering, and enjoying life. We will also do whatever we can to keep her quality of life good for as long as possible.
Glad you were able to get her in. Agree as long as she is a happy dog and not suffering, just keep trucking with her. Yes you are correct, an MRI requires does require a general anesthesia and there is, of course always risk involved. Ours was nine when she had the MRI, and she did ok, but she is now pushing 14, so not sure I would subject her to that, should it become necessary. Keep us posted on her progress.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts