Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Raiden (Border Terrier) is 18 weeks old, and has two rows of top teeth.

I've researched online and everyone talks about how bad it is because as the retained baby teeth and new teeth are so crushed together tartar builds up and it can cause issues...but Raiden's top teeth are really spaced out and there's loads of room between them. There's a row, then .5cm behind that another row.

I am very confused...I've read articles saying this is somewhat normal, especially in small breeds, and having things to chew on, playing tug of war etc often gets them out before the dog is around 6 - 8 months old. But we never saw anything like this when Zoey was teething.

Thoughts?

Rey has an appt with the vet tomorrow; general check-up, positive experience, chance for us to ask neutering questions (he's not getting neutered for another few months, but I really don't trust this veterinary surgery so I want to be 100% who will be handling Rey, what the procedure is and to make sure it will be done by the one - awesome - vet we trust!), to be weighed and now to look at his teeth.

From what I can find any remaining baby teeth are usually pulled at the same time as the neuter.

Basically I am wondering, what is the likelihood that the teeth will fall out themselves, considering he's 18 weeks old? Anyone else had this happen with their pup? Anything I need to ask at the vets?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
At 18 weeks I would suppose that there's still time for them to fall out on their own, but they may not. The vet told me that once all of the adult teeth have mostly grown in it's time to get the puppy teeth pulled if they're still there. Ask your vet for his opinion on if/when they need to be pulled. If the dog is to be neutered at 6-9 months they tend to do it then, but many people are opting to wait until later to neuter for the health benefits. If you decide to go that route (do your own research- don't just rely on when your vet likes to neuter!) then you can have them sedated and pulled.

My dog's top canines were retained, and he was to remain intact. So, I had him sedated and the teeth pulled with no issue. He was bouncy and happy when I picked him up that afternoon.

·
Premium Member
11,876 Posts
Def have the vet look but unless the baby teeth are causing his adult teeth to be misaligned, I worry too terribly much yet...
Iirc permanent dog tooth eruption is along the lines of 12-16 weeks for incisors and canines, 16-20 weeks for premolars, and 16-24weeks for molars. There also seems to be a little bit of time where they have a mix when the permanent teeth are erupting and the roots of deciduous teeth are absorbed. If still there at 6 months then, yeah, I would have remaining baby teeth removed. :)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thanks :) I have a tendency to freak out when I think something's wrong with the pups, and I saw the extra teeth and were like 'wth?! :eek: surely that's not good...'

The vet we see has been really good so far, hopefully it'll be good to see her tomorrow and very positive for Raiden...slightly worried about the vet being able to get a look at his teeth (we'll be taking an exciting chew toy, as it's easy to see when he lays on his back chewing XD ), but we'll see what she says :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts