Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A housemate began to foster two 11 week old puppies with the intention of keeping only 1. After a few days, I realized I wanted to adopt the second one (they're sisters). She has been caring exclusively for the pups for over a week now and they are closely bonded with her. She's doing a great job and has raised puppies before. If I adopt the second one, how do I make sure she bonds with me, without taking her away from her sister? How do we care for two puppy with two owners in the same household? Her puppy now whines constantly when she isn't around, and my puppy whines when her sister isn't around.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
First, please do some research on littermate syndrome. To get the second puppy to bond with you rather than her sister, you will need to do things separately. The puppies do need to spend time apart so they don't become over-reliant on each other to the exclusion of the people in the house. At some stage in their lives it is likely they will have to be apart so time apart should be built into their routine. It is to be expected that being apart will be scary at first so when you separate them, try to keep them occupied with training or something and you are lucky to be in a position to build up time apart gradually.

Training things takes longer, they need to learn to do everything separately, then again as a pair.

It is do-able, and if there are two of you it makes it easier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, please do some research on littermate syndrome. To get the second puppy to bond with you rather than her sister, you will need to do things separately......
Thank you for this! It does seem appropriate to separate them but I haven't raised two puppies at the same time before so I wanted to be sure.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Doing things separately should happen naturally, you are roommates, but you do live your own lives. If you can, each of you have your own puppy sleep in the room with you. Spend quality time with your puppy. Bonding to you should come easily if you're spending a lot of time with your puppy. You don't need to ignore the other one, dogs are smart and they know who their people are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts