Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my dogs had eye surgery today, a small 8-pound poodle. After him and his sister get groomed, she will normally lick at his eyes constantly. (I have no idea why). Now that he has had surgery, he has a Elizabethan collar on to prevent him from scratching his eye. I am concerned that his sister will attempt to lick at his eyes because they did shave around his eye. We have been watching carefully, and she has seemingly just left him alone for the day. We got a second collar for her if she did try and lick him. I would hate to put it on her if it is not needed. How do I decide if I should make her wear a collar at night, too? They are 13 years old and have never spent a night separated from each other.

P.S. I also have some additional questions about the collar, but those can wait until I decide what to do with her.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Personally I'd err on the side of caution and just have them both wear it at night, or separate them for the night. If they can't be parted, and are crate trained, then you could try having on sleep in the crate and leave the other loose.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'd separate them if possible, and not risk an accident if her ecollar gets into his face (could happen).

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I would also advise keeping them separate during this time unless you're supervising. I'd say crate them side by side if you really can't separate them, or crate/pen one of them and leave the other one loose. Not worth the risk of damaging the area, and I could still easily see one licking at the other one even with an e collar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts