Dog Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I dont know where else to turn and hoping someone may have been through something similar as my current situation.

My dog is 3 he is a shetland sheepdog.

He had an accident last October and broke both front legs. One leg has been operated twice; once with pins and wires and second time with bolt and pins. The other leg has had one operation with wire and pins. Unfortunately all operations failed and vet thinks he may have weak bones. His file is going to a university hospital tomorrow for review which is the last chance for him as vet has started mentioned putting him to sleep. I am wondering have anyone been through this or something similar? Is there anything else that can be done for him if his bones are weak? Maybe fuse bones? Or is there a prosthetic legs for dogs in these situations?
Any input would be appreciated I am
devastated. Thank you.

· Super Moderator
8,725 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have answers but didn't want to read and run. I hope you can find a solution.

If you research Fitzpatrick Referrals UK, they do some pioneering orthopaedic work and may have a similar case history. There is another practice doing similar work but I cannot remember the name offhand, maybe @LMMB might?

· Administrator
2,070 Posts
I'm sorry, I don't have answers but didn't want to read and run. I hope you can find a solution.

If you research Fitzpatrick Referrals UK, they do some pioneering orthopaedic work and may have a similar case history. There is another practice doing similar work but I cannot remember the name offhand, maybe @LMMB might?
I don't, but I'm looking.

Sadly a lot of orthopaedic vets don't seem to mention prosthesis - double or otherwise. Fitzpatrick Referrals seems to the only one coming up in searches, but I know they did do double front leg prosthesis on a cat in an earlier series.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thank you I emailed Fitzpatrick referrals I think the referral has to come from my vet so I will mention this. I am in Ireland unfortunately so I dont even know if they would see him but if they even looked at scans for second opinion that would be amazing.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't, but I'm looking.

Sadly a lot of orthopaedic vets don't seem to mention prosthesis - double or otherwise. Fitzpatrick Referrals seems to the only one coming up in searches, but I know they did do double front leg prosthesis on a cat in an earlier series.
Thanks you for looking!! Really appreciate any help offered

· Registered
2,321 Posts
I am so, so sorry you and your dog are going through this.
There are businesses in the US that specialize in prosthetic consultations and fittings for dogs; there is one where I live. I don't know if there is one anywhere near you, but the one here does consultations by Zoom, and might be able to help you. I don't know if they have ever done one from so far away or not. If you want to give it a try, PM me and I will send you a link to the website of the business.

· Administrator
2,070 Posts
Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Louis was admitted to UCD university hospital yesterday and they plan on operating on his legs again so we have some hope thank God. Keep him in your thoughts and prayers please! X
Fingers and paws firmly crossed for you and Louis.

+1 for please letting us know how you and he get on.

Reactions: Jess2389
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.