1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a sad but hopeful story.

Blanca | Spanish Stray Dogs UK Blanca

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on:

Blanca. What is she, how old might she be, and how is she. I know I'm asking the impossible but there are some great people here. (Note: They think Bella is 7/8 years old).

Is looking after 2 dogs 200%, 150%, 120% ................. of a challenge? Are there more benefits than negatives? For example I imagine leaving two dogs who are friends like Bella and Blanca is much easier than just one whether it be an evening to the theatre, or even a few days away with known (to the dogs) friends visiting to feed and exercise :ponder:

Any thoughts very much appreciated :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think it really depends on the dogs. If you have 2 dogs that are decently trained and good friends, personally i find it easier. They always have a companion and someone to keep them company. When I had two, I definitely preferred it to having one. But they got along and didn't encourage each other in bad behavior. For me the chaos didn't really begin til i got a third dog, because i just don't have enough hands!

But if you have 2 dogs that you're attempting to train at the same time, or have spats, it can be hectic.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If these two dogs are so attached, I bet it would be easy to care for both together. I want to say more but am at work so will respond in more depth later on today. I would take both home in a heartbeat!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But if you have 2 dogs that you're attempting to train at the same time, or have spats, it can be hectic.
Chessa thank you. We know that Bella and Blanca are not puppies so know training will be a long process needing much patience but to be honest a bit of a hectic time will be part of the fun. One thing we have from December is time.

Obviously these two are life time buddies but who can say how many years in particular Bella may have? We see forecasts as low as 9 years for Bella and she may already be that :eek:

Good to know you found two much preferred to one.

But we (both my wife and I) would love to give these two a chance to enjoy some good times. But we are realistic and thus the questions.

Cheers (or I should say 'un saludo') from Spain

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
i think, you could try it.
But that one dog is really badly malnourished, so you can be surewith putting on weight and getting more energy, she'll proably change in character...but working with a traumatized animal is still difficult.
I think the major poblem won't be having two dogs, more nursing Bianca back to physical and mental health.
I defenitively wouldn'T take her when you're living in an area with many people, like an appartment. this coul be too much stress for bianca.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Mathilda tx for a realistic view - it does help when heart strings can get tugged very hard ;). For sure we appreciate the time and care Blanca will need. And without Bella to help I'd be even more concerned. But we have now seen videos of Bella and she is just a big old softee, a real calming factor; can see why Blanca went to her :).

Also we have a very quiet house in a very quiet area with few people so that is why I hope it will be a good fit. That said we do now have another issue but first an update:

"Blanca has just recently had a blood test which she has tested positive for Ehrlichia (tick fever) and Leishmaniasis (disease contracted by a sand fly bite). Ehrlichia is curable with a session of antibiotics but Leishmaniasis is not curable but can be controlled by regular medication, where with a good diet a dog can lead a happy life. We have just started Blanca on treatment for both conditions. She is on intensive medication for the Leishmaniasis and then we will re-test her blood in about a months time to see how her levels have improved.".

That is not as bad as it sounds as many dogs in southern Spain have Leish - but still pretty bad with her other issues. But at least she is now getting treatment and each hurdle is one hurdle nearer the winning line - whatever the winning line may be.

Our second issue is that for 2 or 3 months we may have my step-daughter with her 1+ year golden retriever staying with us. The instant thought is that this would not be good for Blanca. But of course she is used to mixing with dogs in very confined places. And it would mean there would be someone in the house 7x24.

We are of course talking to the rescue people and they are fully aware and will make the ultimate call. But clearly there is a "What is the best alternative for Blanca?". Where she is is not a great place. In her mind the only good thing she has is Bella and we wouldn't take that away from her.

We are also concerned by Blanca's age. At the moment it remains unknown. Would anyone care to have a guess (appreciate very tricky) and also what she may be in terms of breeding.

Also of Bella. We need her to have a happy life as well but also if we lost her in the short-term it could have a serious impact on Blanca. We've seen estimates as low as 9 years for a Mastin, an age Bella may already be, but of course she is a cross and about 10 to 20 centimeters shorter than a typical Mastin. We're hoping that means potentially a longer life.

Sorry wittering on but it is a tricky situation we want to get right. Any thoughts to broaden the mind or add to our knowledge would be very gratefully received :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts