Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I went and bought some raw chews for Buster, turkey necks, beef tendon and pigs trotters.

He ate the beef tendon with no upset at all. Baring in mind that are given just as treats and he's still on kibble is it possible for him to have the Turkey necks with out upset?

He had stripped some of the meat off one last week and had really bad diarrhoea, it was all mucusy. Now I wasn't sure if it was because I had switched him onto the Turkey flavour of his food the previous day or whether it was the turkey meat.

Tried to give him one yesterday, he wouldn't touch it, it's like he knew it would make him unwell. I tore off a few very small pieces of the meat and gave it to him and he ate it fine.

The only thing he had different yesterday was these Grain Free Turkey treats so I'm at a loss to what it could be.

Help me! I don't want to keep wasting money by trying him on the bones, but I also don't want him being unwell :(

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It probably has to do with the fact that he is eating raw, kibble and other treats all mixed in. I know not all together at once, but with it all in his system at the same time it's likely causing digestive problems. Raw and kibble don't mix well. I would either look into feeding raw only correctly, or stay with kibble. I wouldn't have those two, with treats added as well all in his system.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It probably has to do with the fact that he is eating raw, kibble and other treats all mixed in. I know not all together at once, but with it all in his system at the same time it's likely causing digestive problems. Raw and kibble don't mix well. I would either look into feeding raw only correctly, or stay with kibble. I wouldn't have those two, with treats added as well all in his system.
Thanks I thought so. I will just stick to the bones he's used to from the butcher from now on :) that way I know he's getting the teeth cleaning and it's not upsetting his system :)

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
If a dog is not used to raw and is given raw, then yeah, that can cause digestive upset. Turkey necks are a great recreational chew, but they do have a lot of meat too and it's all edible. If you want to mix raw and kibble, it can be done. But you have to start slowly and give the dog time to get used to it.

It's also hard to tell when you have so many variables in his diet, if you just switched him to a turkey formula of his kibble, gave him new grain free turkey treats, and gave him the turkey neck....There's no way of knowing what could have done it. It honestly could have been too many changes all at once.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hard to tell what it was, there was so many new things going on at once.

That being said, you can do raw and use kibble/treats as well. Both of my dogs are raw fed but for training I use a high quality grain/corn free kibble and other grain free treats. They've never had a problem with it, and I'm super happy with how their coats and teeth look!

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
My dog is also on a grain-free kibble, but everyone once in a while I give him something like a turkey neck, or chicken thighs/drumsticks. We had someone comment the other day about how clean and white his teeth are, and it is definitely from crunching on bones.

He doesn't have any issues from that, so I think it can be done, Buster might just need some time to adjust.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

He's fed in the grain free kibble and has been given, separately, chicken wings, legs and drumsticks, as well as beef and lamb ribs and a few other raw things.

I probably just need to slow it down and take it a step at a time. I'll leave the bones for a couple of weeks and see how he feels about it, give him time to forget about it and next time I give him it hopefully he'll be more enthusiastic about it.

Usually I bring a raw bone home from the butcher and he is really excited about it and digs in instantly. Do you all reckon he'll come round to liking them?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE: After getting his stomach back to normal on the lamb formula of his kibble and giving him a break from bones for a bit I decided to give him another go of a turkey neck yesterday. He stripped most of the meat off and crunched a few of the bones as well as grinding his teeth on the others.

Poops all normal afterwards so I'm a happy lady! So glad that the full freezer drawer of raw stuff I have wont go to waste :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts