Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to have my cat eat more canned food in his diet instead of kibble. He's had some hairball troubles and in the past has experienced a UTI/kidney stones once. In general I'm hoping to feed him only canned food and use kibbles as training treats or a light snack. Trouble is, he's a complete kibble junkie. There are days he only eats one of two bites of his canned food and doesn't eat anything until he gets his kibble. Although it's not bad food, I've been told and have been reading how canned food is a healthier choice. I've been reading this article: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health and am determined to try and wean him off kibble.I usually try to mix some kibble in his canned food which seems to help a little, but it seems he looses interest quickly. He seems very fickle about his canned food.

Kibble he eats: Blue Buffalo Indoor Cat Formula - Chicken and Rice flavor ( meal) and Hill's Prescription Diet - T/D ( food toppers/dental treats)

Canned Food he eats: Nutro Max, ACTR1UM Holistic Pet Food and sometimes Wellness. However he seems to have the same reaction to all of them: One Day he enjoys it and the other he could care less. I'm trying to consider other healthy, but relatively cheap canned food brands. Surprisingly he HATES Buffalo Blue canned food, Arcana and I think he even rejected Taste the wild. Unfortunately, his favorite to-die-for canned food is Fancy Feast Elegant Medley's ( horrible stuff). My mom gives it to him as his occasional junk food/ Mcdonald's treat.

Canned food I want to try: Felidae, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul, Holistic Select and Natural Balance. Ideally, I need a brand that will cost less than $1 each with my current financial situation with my husband.

At some point I would love to introduce him to raw feeding. This will have to wait until I move back to the states as my parents do not agree with the idea of raw meat. How I wish I could give him some chicken feet!

Starting tomorrow, I've requested for my mother to allow me to be the only one responsible for feeding my cat. In the past, it's been a war of food control. I'd feed small portions and she'd add more while I'm not looking and visa versa with me decreasing the amount. Let's hope I can keep some consistent control for at-least a week so I can make proper observations.

Anyone has any tips on how to encourage their cat to eat more canned food?

If anyone has had any experience with these brands: Felidae, Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul, Holistic Select and Natural Balance please let me know how they have worked for you and if you'd recommend them. How much are each canned food? Reason I ask if because I have not encountered them at any pet store yet but I've found places to look. However I know Canada vs US prices will differ (I currently live in Canada with my parents but will be returning to North Carolina with my husband later this year) so price estimates will be helpful!

Question : How much should I be feeding my cat exactly? In general should I follow the 2% body weight rule? Or does that only apply to rawfed diets?

Here are the feeding portions my mom gives him:
-1/2 canned food morning. 1/2 canned foot at night. 1 cup of kibble through out the day + lots of treats(handfuls! 7- 10 at a time).

This is what I've been working to modify it to:
-1/2 canned food morning, 1/4 kibble for lunch, 1/2 canned foot at night. Treats reserved for clicker training only.

I will be trying out this portion tomorrow. However, there are times he just refuses to eat his canned food, even when mixed with kibble.

Eventually I will work towards:
1/4 canned morning, 1/4 kibble lunch and 1/4 night. Treats reserved for clicker training only.

Also, is it possibly dangerous that my cat is loosing too much weight too fast? I was reading this article: How Much To Feed Your Cat that a cat should not loose more than 1/2 lb a month because it risks hepatic lipidosis! My cat has gone from 19 lbs to 16 lbs in 2 weeks. Should I be cautious? Should I slow down the diet change process?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
All I can tell you is my own experience.
We have 3 cats, two of whom are under a year and the other is 10 years. Two of our cats were getting fat on free feed kibble. (the older one and one of the kittens).
In fact, they were sugar addicts, as indicated by the difficulty they had giving up the "grazing kibble" routine.
I have changed them over to mostly canned.
They all get one 6 ounce can of cat food mixed with 1/4 cup of kibble, twice a day. They are now on a feeding schedule, rather than free feed. (they eat off of a communal plate, am and pm.)
So total, each cat gets about 2/3 of a can and 1/6 cup of kibble. I'm sure the boy-kittens are getting more than the older cat, but they are more active so its fine.
They all look a LOT better on this feeding system. Not fat, and their coats are glossier and skin more supple. I suspect this latter is due to being better hydrated.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
3 pounds in 2 weeks does indeed sound a bit fast, but I'm not a cat expert. There is a cat forum out there with folks to help, if you don't get enough answers here.
Holly might also know, if you post in the health section, she'll see it.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I have an article on transitioning. It won't attach here, (too big it says..) but I'll send it to you via e-mail if you want. Just PM me.

One thing I found is to mix the kibble with the canned, rather than offering them separately.

Also, put him on a feeding schedule, rather than eating throughout the day.

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I never look over here because no one posts but I just got bored so... lol

Also, is it possibly dangerous that my cat is loosing too much weight too fast? I was reading this article: How Much To Feed Your Cat that a cat should not loose more than 1/2 lb a month because it risks hepatic lipidosis! My cat has gone from 19 lbs to 16 lbs in 2 weeks. Should I be cautious? Should I slow down the diet change process?
That is WAYYYYYY to much and I would ABSOLUTELY be worried!!!!! You need to slow down the diet change process and even feed MORE for the next few weeks. He needs to gain some of that back-- the body needs to be OVER fed now to try to prevent a lipidosis. You need to do a diet based on caloric intake. You need to figure out how many kcal he's used to getting and how many kcal each of the foods you want to give him have. Then it needs to be GRADUALLY decreased. I can figure out how many kcal he needs and how slowly to taper it but please figure out the kcal per can or cup of food and let me know...

In the meantime, please watch that his appetite continues to be great and check the whites of his eyes, the insides of his ears (hairless part) and his gums or skin if you can to make sure he doesn't become tinged yellow... Hepatic Lipidosis is often times deadly and when it is not, it is very expensive to treat. I've had a lipidotic cat (and she only lost 1 pound in a month) and I'd rather have a fat cat than a lipidotic cat...

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I'm not a health expert, but I can give you some feedback on Felidae. My cat only likes the chicken & rice formula. I've actually switched her to it from Evo (which you also might consider trying) because she stopped eating it (due to a new living situation and extra treaters in the house). She actually eats the Felidae chicken & rice formula better than any of the Evo formulas I had her on, though. She's also tried Wellness and BB in the past when I was brand shopping.

I'm fairly certain all the brands you're listing are of good quality. Depending on price and availability, they all should be great to feed. To cut down on costs, I have purchased at the feed store or online in bulk, and I also buy the 13 oz cans & store them in tupperware, which is about 4-6 feedings (2x a day). She is a small cat, though, and weighs 8-9 lbs when healthy. The amount you feed definitely depends on the size of the cat.

I would probably try Tess' suggestion and mix the wet and dry together, and slowly mix less and less dry in. That should hopefully help him transition easier, and not lose weight so quickly. Definitely heed Holly's advice on this regarding weight loss.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
I never look over here because no one posts but I just got bored so... lol

Try the "new posts" button on your toolbar. Then scan which forum the post came from. That'll get you all the hot news!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not a health expert, but I can give you some feedback on Felidae. My cat only likes the chicken & rice formula. I've actually switched her to it from Evo (which you also might consider trying) because she stopped eating it (due to a new living situation and extra treaters in the house). She actually eats the Felidae chicken & rice formula better than any of the Evo formulas I had her on, though. She's also tried Wellness and BB in the past when I was brand shopping.

I'm fairly certain all the brands you're listing are of good quality. Depending on price and availability, they all should be great to feed. To cut down on costs, I have purchased at the feed store or online in bulk, and I also buy the 13 oz cans & store them in tupperware, which is about 4-6 feedings (2x a day). She is a small cat, though, and weighs 8-9 lbs when healthy. The amount you feed definitely depends on the size of the cat.

I would probably try Tess' suggestion and mix the wet and dry together, and slowly mix less and less dry in. That should hopefully help him transition easier, and not lose weight so quickly. Definitely heed Holly's advice on this regarding weight loss.
Thanks for the feed back on Felidea, I had been wondering how it was like.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realized I left you guys hanging on this lol.

Thanks for the caution Holly, I'll make sure not to make such a stupid mistake again. Currently he's back to a healthy weight. Turns out there was a silly misunderstanding on feeding portions with my mom and apparently we were feeding the same amount all a long. We discovered a big change in his 'diet' was actually the exercise I was giving him.

Unfortunately, after some time to think I made the difficult decision to leave my cat with my parents instead of taking him with me to the states. I know he will be happier with my parents and I can now rely on my mom to take proper care of him. I'm still sad and a little hurt I can't take him but I know it's best for him. Because of the change in our financial situation my husband and I may be moving often and that will be way too stressful for my kitty. At least I can enjoy him while I'm here.

However once we stabilize, we do plan on adopting a kitty along with getting our dog :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sorry to hear you couldn't bring your kitty with you. When I was first out of college, my parents had to take my dog because I got a job where I travelled all the time. My sister also had to take my cat....those were the hardest decisions to make. All my babies did well and lived to ripe old ages.

You'll find another when the time is right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts