Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend and I adopted a shelter dog recently (about 15 days ago). We are not sure of the breed but the common consensus is he's a mix of a Golden Retriever and German Shepherd (some say there's a bit of Chow in him as well). He's about 4-5 years old. He's a pretty submissive dog. He seems like he's adjusted well to the house (no accidents, no tantrums) and it seems like he's found his comfortable spots and sleeps well. He follows us around in the house all day long when we are at home and is really happy to see us when we get back home in the evening. But apart from that he doesn't seem to show affection at all. He seems to enjoy getting belly rubs but he doesn't sit next to us for too long. Maintains distance. Doesn't stay longer than 5 mins on the couch / bed, when invited. My girlfriend likes to cuddle with him but he just waits for you to finish and the minute you finish, he walks away. We realize its a new environment for him and we have to be patient with him but we were wondering if this sort of behaviour is pretty common in dogs or if there is anything we could do to make him feel more comfortable.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My dog did the same thing for a while after coming home from the shelter. Keep in mind that your new dog has just gone through a major transition and might take a while to adjust fully. They might have previously had a family that they were bonded to and are wondering where they went. I know it took my guy about two months before I really felt like he'd fully adjusted and bonded with me. Just keep providing him the love and care you have been since you got him, and he'll come around when he is ready. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Dogs can take up to 6 months to adjust to a new home, so I wouldn't sweat it. He's gone through some major changes...left the only home he knew, then stuck in a noisy shelter, and now he is living with you. In the dog's mind, he doesn't know if this is yet another temporary place or a permanent home.

Some breeds can be said to be a little aloof in their personality (shar-pei, chow chow, greyhound come to mind)...but in your case, it sounds like your dog just needs time to adjust and bond with you. Walks and adventurous hikes would help in the bonding too :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
He sounds amazing! Maybe he just doesn't like cuddling a whole lot. None of my shepherds were into touchy feely stuff; not their thing. Walks, activities--big love. Hanging out together--awesome. Hugs and kisses--Yuck. That was them, your dog, who knows...early days yet.

You all just need time to get to know one another, and figure out likes, dislikes and neutrals.
And yes, new dogs are feeling a little weird, so it takes a few months to settle in.

I would back off on the cuddles unless you're sure he likes it.

Pictures? I'll bet he's gorgeous.

·
Registered
884 Posts
He's gorgeous! I'll bet he loves hiking with you.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My girl isn't a huge cuddler, but when we hit the 6 month point of having adopted her I realize that she had become much more outwardly affectionate compared to the first weeks we had her.

Just give him time to settle in, continue taking him for hikes and playing with him - that helps the bond grow. Without really realizing it you'll notice down the line the ways he shows affection.

In the beginning we practically had to beg our girl to come up on the furniture to even sit near us let alone cuddle with us. Now she asks to come up and will flop on top of us.

Hang in there and just go at his pace!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts