Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been trying to train my dog some easy tricks but whenever i pull out a treat to give her as reward she wont stop focusing on the treat and ignores everything else. if i want her to pick up a ball and give it to me, its like she become dumb. she walks past the ball, sniffes everywhere and completely ignores the ball when i ask her to pick it up, she goes to where the ball is if i point there but just smells, but refuse to pick the ball up. i know the dog is not dumb, but the way she acts whenever i pull the treat out makes me question what im doing wrong.

Why does the dog focus on the treat instead of my commands as fast i have a treat in my hand?

The dog is adopted from a shelter and is a mix of bordercollie and islandsheep dog (pic of her in photo) About age 14 now.

could the issue maybe be me? i have been spoiling the dog according to others since i got her like 7 years ago not on purpose but outoff kindness. we are together 24/7 as i havent work since i got the dog, or even been without each other for a single day since i got her, no vacation no nothing that my dog couldnt join me on. So the dog knows what to do/act to get me to example cook meat or such instead of dog food. So i would say the dog is having a happy and good life.

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
It isn't because of spoiling her or anything like that (I'm all in favour of a bit of spoiling 😊)

It's not uncommon for this to happen, you might find it easier if you use a clicker. Then, the treat doesn't even appear until after she has completed the trick.

The clicker is a sound marker that you use to click/mark the exact moment she does what you ask - like a snapshot - and also promises a reward for doing that good thing. For training yourself in the timing, watch a tv programme and every time a character uses a particular word, click the clicker. This will train you to react fast. Then charge the clicker for her. Like I said, it marks the moment in time that she does something you want. It also promises her a reward. So simultaneously click and give a treat. Do that five times then have a break. Then repeat that five times over the day (so five times five). Now she knows that click = reward.

Now putting the two together - teach something, like a nose touch (at home, away from distractions; that can come later). Sit down and hold the clicker in one hand and a treat in the other closed hand, at her nose level. She will nudge the treat hand, as soon as she makes contact, click, then release the treat. Do the five times five, or more repetitions if necessary. Then (and this is after a few days of practice) hold your closed hand without a treat. When she nose touches it, click and reward with a treat from a table, your pocket or wherever. Again do your five times five repetitions. Now she has learned to nudge your hand for a reward. Then you can start to put a word to it, to later ask for this behaviour when you want it - like ”touch” - and you can practice at least five times five with that.

The clicker is good because it is immediate and the sound is consistent - your dog knows straight away she has done the right thing and a reward will follow.

And that in turn means the treats can be kept in your pocket until she has completed the trick.

·
Super Moderator
443 Posts
Ive been trying to train my dog some easy tricks but whenever i pull out a treat to give her as reward she wont stop focusing on the treat and ignores everything else. if i want her to pick up a ball and give it to me, its like she become dumb. she walks past the ball, sniffes everywhere and completely ignores the ball when i ask her to pick it up, she goes to where the ball is if i point there but just smells, but refuse to pick the ball up. i know the dog is not dumb, but the way she acts whenever i pull the treat out makes me question what im doing wrong.

Why does the dog focus on the treat instead of my commands as fast i have a treat in my hand?

The dog is adopted from a shelter and is a mix of bordercollie and islandsheep dog (pic of her in photo) About age 14 now.

could the issue maybe be me? i have been spoiling the dog according to others since i got her like 7 years ago not on purpose but outoff kindness. we are together 24/7 as i havent work since i got the dog, or even been without each other for a single day since i got her, no vacation no nothing that my dog couldnt join me on. So the dog knows what to do/act to get me to example cook meat or such instead of dog food. So i would say the dog is having a happy and good life.
Nothing wrong with spoiling her.

I don't necessarily think it's a clicker/not clicker issue, actually. I think it's much simpler than that.

Imagine having a desk job and your boss puts your week's wages, right in he middle of your desk and tells you you can't take it til the end of the shift. Where's your attention going to be? Because hands up, mine wouldn't stray from the money. 😁

I think that's essentially what you're doing. "You want the treat? Fine, but first ...". There's impulse control, and then there's being downright evil. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

So. How would I fix it? I'd simply leave the treat in your pocket until the exact moment you're ready to reward the dog for doing what you want.

If you want to work on impulse control, give her a reason to leave the treat that you do out in front of her. In other words - put the treat down, say Leave it, and then immediately reward her with another treat, or a higher value treat, or both - and then send her back for the one you asked her to Leave.

Or, look up the It's Your Choice game.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Try some impulse control maybe?

When my pup was younger and more eager for the treats, I started a session with some treats in my open hand, and feed him with the other while he controls himself from eating out of the open hand. Calms him down every time!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for reply, ive gotten a clicker and will try to learn the dog using a clicker.

LMMB you might be correct that i wont be needing a clicker. but everytime my dog see a treat she will not stop until its eaten and i have to open my hands to show her its really empty, Whenever i have some snacks for myself and watch movie/tv i have some treats for the dog so we both can enjoy tv even tho i doubt the dog understand what happens on the tv. so shes used to eat alot of treats i had to calm down on giving her to much treats as she would avoid her normal food and rather wait until theres snack time.

But both ideas above can be tried, doesnt hurt to try and whatever works best il continue to do.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
I think the two techniques essentially reach pretty much the same outcome - the treat doesn't appear until after the trick, or trick/click.

But impulse control is definitely worth training.

·
Registered
112 Posts
One of the cues I taught my pup, and my older dog learned it fairly quickly too, was an 'All done' cue. After giving him a treat and he would naturally look for more, or when I was done with a training session, I would say 'All done' - show him my empty hands and turn away. Giving him a clear indication/ signal, that the treats were 'on hold', for now.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sinder, in your description I do not see ay evidence that the dog understands what you want. Has the dog consistently carried out the command? If so, I'm not sure that the dog knows. I'm not saying your dog is not smart, but what we want is not always clear to a dog.

Have you made the dog understand the "treat for tricks" system? Usually you start with something simple, like sit. Sit, treat, sit, treat, sit treat, etc. Once they get it, it becomes easier for them to focus on the task rather than just solely on food.

Are you training in an environment without distraction? Are you doing the same exact thing each time, with the same exact words, in the same exact tone, with the same exact objects in the beginning? If you change any of these things, the dog could think you're doing something new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sinder, in your description I do not see ay evidence that the dog understands what you want. Has the dog consistently carried out the command? If so, I'm not sure that the dog knows. I'm not saying your dog is not smart, but what we want is not always clear to a dog.

Have you made the dog understand the "treat for tricks" system? Usually you start with something simple, like sit. Sit, treat, sit, treat, sit treat, etc. Once they get it, it becomes easier for them to focus on the task rather than just solely on food.

Are you training in an environment without distraction? Are you doing the same exact thing each time, with the same exact words, in the same exact tone, with the same exact objects in the beginning? If you change any of these things, the dog could think you're doing something new.
The dog knows simple tricks and basic, will kiss you if you say "kiss" know how to search and such. So she knows different commands. but i wanna learn her more things,

The previous owners of the dog didnt say they didnt like the dog, but they just didnt have the time. i will probably never work again in my life so i have alot of time to spend with the dog so i guess it was just a lucky moment that i were looking for a dog and found this one, shes talented but i guess spoiled because i give her what she asks for.

Im training her in place there is no distractions, either at home where i live alone with dog or deep in the forest, so usually never encounter anyone.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keep trying. You sound like where I was last year. Please just keep in mind that 99% of the time it's the human trainer's fault, not the dog's shortcoming. If the training session isn't working, take a step back and relax. It doesn't help to get worked up over it. It doesn't help you, and it doesn't help the dog. Dogs have a hard time learning under stress, so always create a joyous, fun learning environment. If you can't do that at a given moment, just stop and do something you both enjoy instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts