Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I recently adopted our first dog this past February. Scout is a pug mix (possibly mixed with besenji) and he was 7 months when we adopted him. He turned one this past weekend. When we adopted him, we were given a bag of "Hills Science Diet Puppy- Small bites" Scout liked the food fine, so we decided to just keep him on that until he moved on to adult food. About a month and a half ago, Scout started to dislike the current food. He will eat it when he finally gets hungry enough so he must not hate it, but he is no longer excited at meal time like he used to be. He is an otherwise healthy dog.

I was shopping around for an adult food to switch him to since he no longer needs a puppy specific food and decided on the "Iams Proactive Minichunks" because it seems to have similar ingredients and I didn't think it would upset his tummy too much. (If you have any recommendations for a food he might like that isn't horribly expensive, I would appreciate it. I want to get him a good food, but I am still in school so $60 on each bag isn't really an option)
I mixed in some of the new food with his old stuff last night with a spoonful of pumpkin on top. He licked the pumpkin off like he normally does, and then he started nosing around the food in the dish and only ate the new food. I only put a small handful in the dish, but when he was "finished" eating i dumped the rest of the food on the counter to see if any new pieces were left, and there was only one. To my knowledge non of the old food was eaten.

I was really worried that he would get an upset stomach from only eating the new stuff, and my boyfriend just called to let me know that he spit up a little bit. Not a lot, but some. Is there anything I should be doing to make this transition easier on him? Are there things I should avoid doing? Again, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
@nikkih, congratulations on your new puppy! I would actually not recommend either of those foods long term. There are far superior foods on the market, for similar or better pricing.

You may want to look at Fromm Original (in the purple bag). It is a way better food and for a 15lb bag, here in Canada is about $35 (so undoubtedly much cheaper in the US). If you check out Amazon or Chewy.com, their pricing is usually really good.

Another option, is to look at TSC/Kirkland's own brand of food. It is very economical and, again, much better, quality wise, than either the SD or the Iams. For the small breed dog (chicken based) here in Canada, it's around $20 for the 15 lb bag. If you want to save even more money, get the 40lb bag of adult food for $40 (Canadian)! Freeze the majority of it to keep it fresh and then pull out enough for a couple weeks 24 hours ahead of time.

Good luck on your food search!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts