Dog Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Damn, I misread it then. I hope your dad can talk some sense into her!!
That poor pup. I don't want it sitting air the store but I certainly don't want it to go to someone so adverse to both vet work & commonsense training!

·
Registered
728 Posts
I agree with other folks who are saying there's really not much you can do :(
People who don't want to listen rarely can be convinced to.

That said, media can be pretty effective. Here are a few docs that you could try sending their way. If your dad is more on board with you, maybe he could try something along the lines of "let's watch these together first, then decide if we want this pup." That way, it's not coming from you.

Madonna of the Mills – A Documentary About Puppy Mills | The Truth About Puppy Mills

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
The only thing I can say is to emphasize how it'll affect their bank account. A dog from a reputable breeder may cost just as much or more...but a puppy mill dog is likely to come with health and genetic issues that could cost thousands.

I knew somebody that is convinced she "rescued" an eskie by buying it from a petstore. She knew full well it was a puppymill dog and didn't care. She fell in love and did the irresponsible thing by buying it and supporting the practice. I understand her logic, as the dog was already born, and obviously all dogs should have somebody to love them. But I still can't agree with what she did.

Anyway, to continue the story, I followed her on Facebook for a while and the dog was a walking health disaster. She was constantly getting UTIs and going on antibiotics, she got multiple bouts of giardia, and she was continually getting injured. A couple times just soft tissue injuries, but she did once break a leg by simply jumping off of a sofa. It had to be surgically repaired with a plate and screws. She spent I think over $1k just to buy the dog, and then several more thousand in just the first year of life alone not even including your usual shots and spay. I don't recall if the dog ever had any real temperament issues. She may have gotten lucky on that front.

Those types of medical issues by and large are easily preventable by proper breeding. Even a marginal amount of care and selection will lead to healthier puppies. Tigger is not from lines that are finely health and genetic screened. He's a ranch dog and they don't really have the time or money to drive out and pay for testing. They breed occasional litters to get a new herder for themselves, and they don't breed dogs that can't do their job because of lameness, poor vision or hearing, poor temperament or proneness to injury or illness. He was $150 and a heck of a lot healthier than my GSD that was not puppy mill produced, but was still bred with money as the main incentive (she was $800).

Anyway, maybe if you frame it like that and tell them the story of the eskie they will think about it more. A doxie will probably be even more prone to physical injury if it's not well bred because the breed is already structured oddly with the long back and short legs.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
259 Posts
That really sucks. Hope you and your dad can knock some sense into her.

Besides the documentary, maybe show her some videos of how puppymill dogs are treated, and explain how she would be supported this awful horrific practise. Tell her that the dogs are crammed into tiny cages and bred over and over until it either literally kills them, or killed when they no longer produce pups to sell. Explain that, far from rescuing a most likely sick and neurotic puppy (I HATE how some people justify buying pet store by saying they "rescued" them), that by buying she would she showing support and causing more poor dogs to be raised in these deplorable conditions.

Also, show videos of doxie behavior, including barking and digging and anything that shows them as working hunting dogs, not long-backed purse accessories

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts
It's hard because she is not someone that you are normally close with, and unfortunatly, we can't fix stupid. It seems you are a person she can brush off. I would send all the information you have to your father as he is probably someone who might be able to get through to her.

Also inform your father that when this goes down him (Notice When and not IF), you will not be taking the dog. This puppy will be her responsibility, not yours.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
update.

So she bought the puppy yesterday. I was very disappointed. I brought Maggie over for socialization and it went very well. I have been pleasantly surprised, she is very committed to the puppy. She has asked me a bunch of questions and is actually listening. She is going to come home from work during lunch and if she cant my dad is going to go over to walk it mid day. The puppy has a very goo temperament. She has asked me to get her an appointment with my vet so she can get vaccinations done and schedule his neutuer.

The puppy is currently on Precise puppy food. They said his stools are OKAY but there is a lot. I suggested Fromm and they plan to switch over when they finish the small bag of food from the pet store.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm glad she's at least committed, that's a start. :) I can say our first lab was from a breeder I wouldn't consider responsible now, but we honestly didn't know better. Maybe as she grows and learns, she can use this experience to better herself in the future. :)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There was one Pet store that I stopped in and I hated that on the cages of the puppies that they were Selling, they had big signs "Adopt a puppy" and right next to it the price of the puppy which was really high. I know there are more Pet Stores now that do have puppies and dogs for adoptions but this was not one of them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
This are going okay with the puppy but they are having a very hard time house training it. The puppy keeps going to the bathroom in its crate. So I told them to gate the puppy in the kitchen and put down some puppy pads so at least it can break the habit of going in the crate.

·
Registered
10,651 Posts
This are going okay with the puppy but they are having a very hard time house training it. The puppy keeps going to the bathroom in its crate. So I told them to gate the puppy in the kitchen and put down some puppy pads so at least it can break the habit of going in the crate.

That is a very BIG problem with pet shop puppies. They've, very likely, literally spent their whole young lives living in their own waste.:(

What I learned from Shadow, I got him from a pet shop selling mutts (the puppy was very cheap buy one and they threw in a crate and food), along with the pure breeds, was that the owner needs to come up with a way to prevent all indoor accidents or the puppy never housetraines. With Shadow that meant making him spend the majority of the time outside so that he had no chance but to potty out there. Even if the owner uses potty pads it just makes the accident easier to clean up, it doesn't break the habit of potting where they eat and sleep. Until that habit is broken they see nothing wrong with being in their own waste, it's a mental thing.

I hope that your Dad and his GF are up to the challenge, those poor puppies can be trained but it does take more time, consistency, and patience then a normal puppy requires.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
The poor puppy is so freaked out about being outside that it wont go to the bathroom. They are going to come over before the vet appointment on Saturday and I am going to try to help them with stuff. I am going to demo what it house training should be like. My dad wants the puppy to come stay with us (my dad and I) since his GF works all day and he works from home. He wants to try to get it at least going outside since we will have more time. It would just be about a week.

I really dont mind. The puppy is cute and Maggie likes to have a play mate. I also enjoy training and I think I am tiring Maggie out with all the activities I am having her do right now lol.

I have this slight feeling that I may end up with this puppy in a few months if she cant house train it, I would definitely take it instead of it sitting at a shelter . I hope not. I really want it to work out and they are trying, but they just don't 'get it.'

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think a hampster would be a better fit for her since she thinks it needs no exercise,no vet care and is gonna lock him up all day.Thats cruel to a dog not to take care of it.I agree with you she needs a dog like she needs another hole in her head!

·
Registered
537 Posts
My first dog I bought was a puppymill or BYB puppy from a petstore. He has been a great dog, but is oversized and more joint issues likely resulted then if he was breed standard. I think all you can do is politely educate her that some of these issues are resulting from being in a petstore and where the dog came from in its early life. Then, she will know and can help to start educate other people.

Good luck to you and your family to get the puppy headed in the right direction! At least at this point she seems very committed.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Honestly,
I think that she shouldn't have a Dachsund, let alone any dog! Whenever you end up having to have the dog, you should just tell her "You didn't listen, so, you're stuck with it."

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
If y'all scroll up just a tad ;) , you'll see the gf already bought the puppy. Not saying you can't still add practical suggestions for discouraging another person from doing so, but this instance is now moot.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts