Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy is now 3 months old and whenever I grab anything like paper he goes crazy. When I try to get him off of it wen he bites it he lunged at my hand and given me a hard bite and scratches me Really hard! No matter what I do he tries to bite and growl at me.

Also when I come down from the stairs he is waiting at the bottom. When I reach the last stair, he leaps on it(he can't climb stairs yet) and starts growling and biting my foot. He barks, whines and growls like a professional watch dog! When I reach down he starts biting me and growling. Any tips on stopping both behaviors?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
The first I'd bet is resource guarding, the worse thing you can do is "steal his stuff", and remember to a puppy if he has it it's his, doesn't matter that it actually belongs to you. You need to practice trading games with him and teaching him a solid drop it. Here's a thread that is loaded with info on working with a resource guarder and how to do so safely http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/ One of the best things you can do while working on the behavior is to puppy proof your house, try and put up anything he may decide to steal. That's because you do not want to have to forcibly take something from the puppy because it's likely to hurt the puppy to have it or be really expensive to replace, forcibly taking things tends to undo the hard work you put in teaching him that it's good to let you see his stuff.

At his age he should not be having that much freedom and be allowed to be in a room by himself, unless you happen to have that room completely puppy proofed and you know his little bladder is completely empty. What I'd be doing is putting him either in a crate or exercise pen while I'm upstairs so that he did not have a chance to imitate a furry land shark. I'd also be teaching him that biting my ankles and toes is a really good way to get me to leave him, that if he wanted to play with me he needs to go get a toy. To do that I give the puppy a toy when they bite me and play with him with it, making it fun and exciting. If they decide to try and bite me I'll give them the toy again, if they try again to bite me then the game ends, the puppy is either put in his crate or exercise pen, or I get out of the puppies reach. I do that every, single, time the puppy tries and bites me. The last puppy I had it took a couple of weeks for the lesson to really sink in, but there came a day when he started to bite me, got a thoughtful look on his face, then ran and got one of his toys. After that he never bit me in play again he always brought me one of his toys.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first I'd bet is resource guarding, the worse thing you can do is "steal his stuff", and remember to a puppy if he has it it's his, doesn't matter that it actually belongs to you. You need to practice trading games with him and teaching him a solid drop it. Here's a thread that is loaded with info on working with a resource guarder and how to do so safely http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/resource-guarding-causes-prevention-modification-7511/ One of the best things you can do while working on the behavior is to puppy proof your house, try and put up anything he may decide to steal. That's because you do not want to have to forcibly take something from the puppy because it's likely to hurt the puppy to have it or be really expensive to replace, forcibly taking things tends to undo the hard work you put in teaching him that it's good to let you see his stuff.

At his age he should not be having that much freedom and be allowed to be in a room by himself, unless you happen to have that room completely puppy proofed and you know his little bladder is completely empty. What I'd be doing is putting him either in a crate or exercise pen while I'm upstairs so that he did not have a chance to imitate a furry land shark. I'd also be teaching him that biting my ankles and toes is a really good way to get me to leave him, that if he wanted to play with me he needs to go get a toy. To do that I give the puppy a toy when they bite me and play with him with it, making it fun and exciting. If they decide to try and bite me I'll give them the toy again, if they try again to bite me then the game ends, the puppy is either put in his crate or exercise pen, or I get out of the puppies reach. I do that every, single, time the puppy tries and bites me. The last puppy I had it took a couple of weeks for the lesson to really sink in, but there came a day when he started to bite me, got a thoughtful look on his face, then ran and got one of his toys. After that he never bit me in play again he always brought me one of his toys.
Thanks I'll try it. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Thanks I'll try it. :)

Your welcome!

I forgot to add that when you leave him alone or put him in a crate or exercise pen because he was play biting you, you should only do so for a few minutes maximum and then try playing with him again, or he'll not associate it with biting you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts