Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I adopted Sammie from the local animal shelter just over a year ago. Everywhere I go, people ask what kind of dog she is, and I really have no idea. The shelter listed her as a 'papillon mix' but she weighs 24 pounds and measures about 14 inches at the shoulder (she was 19 pounds when I got her as she was rather thin).

Some people can see the papillon but agree that there must be a larger dog in the mix due to her size. Others think she's part border collie. Some other guesses I've heard are schipperke (there are several breeders locally) and markiesje (which is a very rare dog in the US so I doubt that one, though I do see the strong similarities, especially when her ears are down).

So, what do you all think? Here are some pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think papillon mix.... Not sure what with. Or maybe even pom, but she looks more pap to me. I have met 14 inch papillons before. It's not ideal (breed standard cuts off at 12 inches) but it happens.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
^^, with Laurelin, that is the first thing I saaw, the Papillon ears and the tail of a Pomeranian.
The face from the side view looks sonewhat Pomish.

Gosh, cute pup!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Laurelin, your dog is adorable! How much do Papillons weigh usually? Sammie was 19 lb. when I got her, but she's put on a bit since then :)

Harleyboysmom, thanks for the compliment on Sammie's behalf :) She has that rather domed head - almost reminds me of a spaniel when her ears are down... but when those ears go up, they are so huge they just dominate everything lol

Prjwh081810, interesting that you mention the long haired Chihuahua. I googled long haired Chihuahua and was amazed at how different they look from the kind I have seen, which I guess must be the short haired version.

I forgot to mention, and you can't tell from the pictures, but her fur is very long in some places, like on the backs of her hind legs (makes her look like she is wearing culottes or something :) She doesn't seem to have an undercoat either, just long hair that is very soft. Then there is this brownish black fuzz on her elbows and knees and behind her ears. I think the shelter cut some of it off because it tends to matt very easily, but it is certainly unusual. Also, she doesn't smell 'doggy', something I noticed because every other dog we've ever had smelled like, well, a dog lol! Don't know if any of those traits offer additional clues. Personality-wise, she's very active, great watchdog (a bit too good sometimes lol), and does some unusual things like jump up on the table when all the chairs are pushed in and just lay there like she is enjoying the view. Another thing she has done several times that I've never seen a dog do before is stand on her hind legs and put one paw on each side of the door knob and kinda work it back and forth like she's trying to open it. So we always make sure the door is locked every time we go out - just in case she figures it out!

Thanks for the feedback, and I welcome any other ideas or info. I just love my dog, whatever breed(s) she may be, though its always fun to try to guess :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same dog a shelter dog who passed a year ago his name was Lexington. But I’m positive he is a Schipperkee and Papillon mix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts