Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's 18 months old. From the time I got him at 9 weeks last April to January of this year, he was crated when I left the home.

Starting in January of 2016, I stopped crating him when I left, and gave him access to my entire bedroom (I dog proofed it so that pillows are always put away and I always put my nice comforter away and put a cheap synthetic blanket down over my bed).

I've been wanting to give him more access for awhile, but to be honest I'm no an organized person and there's always "stuff" around that he could get into.

Today, however, my home is spotless and organized. I thought it might be a good time to try transitioning him to having more access. I closed the door to my second bedroom and all my bathrooms. I left him in my bedroom as normal with a kong. But I left my door open a crack so he could come out if he wanted - he'd have access to the foyer, family room, dining room and kitchen this way. Everything was dog proofed.

I left him for twenty minutes. And when I got back, he had eaten and ripped up the corner of the chair I sit in most often. I had left him all his usual chew toys and didn't do a single thing differently other than leave the bedroom door open a crack. He's never even once chewed on furniture before, even as a puppy.

*sigh*

He is prone to separation anxiety, though I've trained him extensively on it. He really did seem calm all day today, so I thought he was ready. He was absolutely overjoyed to see me when I got home - waaaay more than usual. And now that I'm home he's moving restlessly around the home and is clearly more anxious than usual - just attacking his chew toys like no tomorrow.

Any tips? I guess I tried too soon (though how could I know what too soon is until I try?) but I'd like to eventually give him access to more space, since he's a german shorthaired pointer being raised in a condo.

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
It might be a case of too much, too soon.

I'd keep him in the bedroom for a week or two, then give him access to the bedroom and maybe hall if there is one. Let him have access to that for a week or two then let him have access to the bedroom, hall, and one other room and see how he does with that.

Make sure that whatever you block off the other rooms with cannot be hopped over, they have extra tall baby gates, and they also have exercise pens, that can be used.

Reactions: augusta

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
@Rain Well he's been in the bedroom for eight months!

What I'm thinking, and I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time LOL, is that he got anxious by having too much freedom all at once. He may be feeling safe and secure in your bedroom and then got anxious by having access to the rest of the house when y'all were not there. If I'm right in thinking that then my hope is that by going slow he'll learn, room by room, that the rest of the house is still safe when y'all are not home and there's no reason to get anxious.

Reactions: augusta

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If it is your typical condo, access to the entire place still isn't going to give him room to run. If he is happy in the bedroom and behaves well there, just let him stay there.

I am wondering if some research might turn up another dog owner you could barter dog sitting services with, perhaps he/she could take your dog for walks a couple times a week while you are at work, and you could return the favor on weekends. That way there would be more exercise and less boredom for your dog, without the expense of day care.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Rain

Yes, I guess you're right :) I should buy some pet gates to section off rooms and just do one room at a time.
@Lucille You're probably right. I mean there is a long hallway in which he loves to run while I'm home, but it's true that my place is not huge.

He does have a dog walker during the day already, so it's no so bad.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts