Initially, I wanted a klee kai, Keeshond mix, but then I realized that the breeder that would be able to produce that is a little scary... So I steered widely away from that and have looked at a variety of breeds. I've looked at the following breeds in some level of depth:
- australian shepherd
- Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
- Huskies are a good size and have a nice coat, but they require hours of exercise.
- Keeshonds are a good size and have manageable exercise requirements, but they're HUGELY fluffy. The same is true for:
- American Eskimo dog
- A number of them seem pretty awesome but are very rare.
- A number of them are not ridiculously fluffy and have reasonable exercise needs, but then they're a bit on the small side or too big.