Dog Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My boyfriend and I have been discussing getting a puppy (we call it Trucker's Puppy) for the last 4 months. We plan to let Trucker finish with his basic obedience class and for the "hunting season" (just deer, as all but 3 months you can hunt) to be over so that my boyfriend can be more involved.

With this puppy we are looking for an even temperament and good health, so we decided to go with a breeder pup over another rescue. We have narrowed the breeds we liked to two:

1. Verein Deutsch Drahthaar (VDD)
  2. Curly Coated Retriever (CCR)
Does anyone have personal experience with either breed. From what we have learned (reading and talking to the different breeders) both breeds will equally fit out needs and wants.

Our wants:
Known "even" temperament
Solid background of "hunting" skill (particularly retrieving waterfowl and blood tracking)
Good Genetic Health
Energetic (playmate for Trucker)
Quick Learner

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
My very first dog I ever took to training on my own, Jack, had a curly coat retriever in his class! Her name was Anya. She was so sweet. Very much like your typical lab, exuberant and goofy. The curls are so fascinating, be prepared to be questioned for like about what breed it is. :p

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Shandula I am prepared to hear is it a labradoodle if we go with the CCR. The CCR seems to have more prey drive than the traditional Lab more like that of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever (without the aggression issues).

·
Registered
165 Posts
My understanding of the Deutche Drahthaar (I've never known the 'Verein' term added so maybe I'm confusing breeds) is that it's basically the "original" GWP but as strict performance testing for it has been enforced that it's a much more regulated breed than the GWP.

Where I am in Europe (Benelux region) the DD's are still always referred to as DD's even though most come from unregulated lines that aren't tested. It all becomes a bit hazy. I LOVE the wirehaired pointers (generalize to that whole range of breeds: Pudelpointer, GWP, DD, Cesky Fousek, etc). They are energetic, intelligent, devoted companions, and hard workers without the sensitivity and neurosis that you see in a lot of the shorthaired counterparts (e.g. vizsla and GSP).

I don't hunt, so can't speak to their abilities personally on that but I do know most hunting organizations swear by them as being slightly tougher and more intense about their jobs (which can mean a bit more stubborn as well).

You may also want to look into Pudelpointers and Wirehaired Vizslas - they are more regulated in their breeding quality than GWP's (which is what I assume you like about the DD) and are also much more performance-based bred from what I understand. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the wires!! Love them!!

Don't know anything about the curly coats -- sorry!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
My dad's hunting buddy had a CCR when I was a kid and I absolutely LOVED that dog. She was so sweet and I would play with her all the time.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My understanding of the Deutche Drahthaar (I've never known the 'Verein' term added so maybe I'm confusing breeds) is that it's basically the "original" GWP but as strict performance testing for it has been enforced that it's a much more regulated breed than the GWP.

Where I am in Europe (Benelux region) the DD's are still always referred to as DD's even though most come from unregulated lines that aren't tested. It all becomes a bit hazy. I LOVE the wirehaired pointers (generalize to that whole range of breeds: Pudelpointer, GWP, DD, Cesky Fousek, etc). They are energetic, intelligent, devoted companions, and hard workers without the sensitivity and neurosis that you see in a lot of the shorthaired counterparts (e.g. vizsla and GSP).

I don't hunt, so can't speak to their abilities personally on that but I do know most hunting organizations swear by them as being slightly tougher and more intense about their jobs (which can mean a bit more stubborn as well).

You may also want to look into Pudelpointers and Wirehaired Vizslas - they are more regulated in their breeding quality than GWP's (which is what I assume you like about the DD) and are also much more performance-based bred from what I understand. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the wires!! Love them!!

Don't know anything about the curly coats -- sorry!
I have seen them refered to as DDs and VDDs. We love that they are strictly breed regulated at least it seems like here but I will check out the breeds you mentioned (we too like the wirehaired breeds :) ).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Aspen726 I love the CCR but convincing the bf that they aren't too "girly" is hard. But I am working on it ;) . I think either breed would be a good fit for our family but I think CCRs are cuter and more "cuddly" and less independant.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have seen them refered to as DDs and VDDs. We love that they are strictly breed regulated at least it seems like here but I will check out the breeds you mentioned (we too like the wirehaired breeds :) ).
So I googled around, apparently the V is for "club" -- makes sense!

Good luck with your search. I know the Pudelpointers and Wirehaired Vizsla's are known for being very cuddly and loving, I think the DD's are a bit more independent (relative to other HPR breeds...it's not like they're terrier-independent :p)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only thing I would caution you about with pointers is that (much like terriers) they can often be very testy and disliking of other dogs. Great dog to take hunting, but potentially it might have to be separated from other household dogs (in an extreme case).
Something I was not aware of. Trucker is my first dog and my boyfriend has only ever had Goldens (not a breed that I will ever own for a multitude of reasons).

·
Registered
165 Posts
While yes, there are dog-aggressive pointers, it's not a trait that the breed is known for. It's not like Shar-peis or Chows where even with extensive socialization you face the real possibility of having aggression issues.

Any breed is susceptible to dog-aggression issues. Pointers actually frequently work in pairs when they are hunting and are known for being quite amicable dogs. They are however *very* person-oriented so it's not unusual for them to be more focused on their person then playing or engaging with other dogs.

I wouldn't be turned off of the breed over those concerns, but of course proper socialization is necessary. DD's are known for being a little bit "sharper" then some of the other HPR breeds.

If you head over to some of the gundog forums many will have experience working with DD's and other wirehairs so can give better advice based on first-hand knowledge!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@travelingswift I will check out those forums since I am already a member of some of them :)

We contacted the local breeders of both CCRs and DDs and they said if we provided Trucker's shot records we could bring him up to see how he interacted with each breed (knowing each dog will be slightly different). Since in all reality it is "Trucker's dog", his training partner, we feel that as long as the breed meets our requirements we should let him have last "say".

Reactions: Sabina88

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never met an actual VDD, but I have met several GWPs and GSPS. GWPs are adorable and I absolutely love their little beards. Please posts pictures as much as possible!!!!

Every pointer I have worked with has been wonderful. I have never heard of them being dog aggressive, in fact they are often wonderful playmates for my boys. My best friend has a GSP and all together our dogs are a perfect pack. As long as you are prepared for ENERGY, then you're going to love a VDD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts