Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you've seen my older posts on here you'll know I have a 9 year old large breed, Abigail, that I got when she was 7 and have a small breed puppy as of January named Rudy. They don't interact in the house because Rudy doesn't respect her space and now I'm having some trouble during walks with them.

Abigail goes for a longer walk alone every morning so she can have some time from the pup. She always walks in front. I tried training her to walk beside me for MONTHS and she just will not stay there. Most of the time she's just in front, not pulling, but occasionally when excited she'll stop to sniff something and then will run to get back in front of me jerking my arm in the process. It's not very often so I just stand still until she's calmed down and then start walking again. She almost never has pulled constantly(unless she's trying to run away from fireworks or a scary dog). It's a pull ahead and then normal walking typically. I know this is part of the problem with them, although this has been no problem when walking with other dogs.

Anyway. In the evening I try to get them both out for a short walk together. Because she walks in front Rudy does as well. I don't mind as long as there isn't pulling/he's not jumping on her, but there's more and more pulling lately as he learns her bad habit and continues to be a rude puppy. If she runs forward he does too. If he jumps at her and tries to lick her face(which he does a LOT. It's the reason they're separate in the house) she will run forward as his leash is shorter than hers and that's the only way she can get away from him. And of course he tries to run forward and get at her again.
I try to keep them on either side of my body but with both walking in front it's very hard, I've tried getting him to sit/look at me/whatever to get his attention off of her but it doesn't work most of the time. If she stops walking or he otherwise can get close to her face he goes at her. The only thing I've been able to do is keep his leash shorter and hold him back when she's stopped to pee but there has to be a better way.
I can't walk them separately always, before anyone suggests that. If I want to walk in the evening 5 days a week both have to come. Rudy HAS gone for walks alone so he knows no pulling/we're working on not barking at things as well.. The pulling/mauling issues only come when walking with Abigail so that's what I need help with. Either teaching her to not run forward, or teaching him not to follow that behavior, and then how to keep him off her face every chance he gets. Any tips you guys can think of are welcome!

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Abi is a medium sized dog, not large I think. She's only about Koda's size?

If you want to come over and see how I'm walking Doppler and Koda together you're more than welcome. They may not do well usually but we've got walks down now. They aren't perfect either so it may provide a good example.

I'd probably say they need separate walks again until both can walk nicely together-mostly until Rudy gets a bit older and stops nipping. You could also have a friend or someone living with you take one dog and you take the other, and walk at a slight distance just so the dogs can't interact and gradually bring them closer over a few weeks and see how they do. I know it's not really practical but you might have a helper who can do the walk together with you, and the gradual introduction of them being close by might stop the jumping on her face. They'll both still run forward and Abi may end up teaching Rudy to pull, especially if her leash is longer.

I'd also say Rudy probably doesn't need a long walk every day. Short training walks should be sufficient with regular play time. He'll get tired long before Abi does. By the time he's able to walk the same distance, he should have enough repetition of not jumping on another dog (ones you see on the street etc) to not jump on her. If you're not a fan of this, you could alternate-one day Abi, one day Rudy (for long walks, keeping the short walks still frequent).

-------

tl; dr, I'd probably go with short, frequent walks with Rudy and no long ones together unless you have a second person or have some extra time that night to do individual longer walks. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts