Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like the title says, we have a tripod. She’s missing a rear leg so it’s pretty important to keep her relatively lean for her hips. We haven’t had her long so we’re still toying with food amounts and timing to have her properly fed but still on the smaller side. That said, she’s so hungry. 1) it feels horrible to know how hungry she is and 2) we can’t leave her be too long or she starts eating anything she can get her mouth around.

I’m hoping someone has an idea about ways to bulk what she can eat without adding a ton of calories. We’re going to try some of the higher water content veggies to see what she might like, but any ideas would be awesome!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Veggies like you mentioned. I've heard green beans are good for low cal. Also blueberries.

You could work on adjusting the times that she eats so she feels fuller throughout the day.

Also, just because I've seen people go overboard with keeping their dog lean and then end up with a dog that's starving....You should be able to feel her ribs when you rub your fingers over her rib cage, but you shouldn't necessarily see the ribs. Only faintly.

Measure out her food, but she'll still want and deserve treats since you want her to be happy and not feel like she's starving, so cut back just a bit on the amount of food she's supposed to have so you can give her some treats later.

I know how you feel. My dog is always hungry and she's starting to gain just a bit more than I want her to. But it is tough. I want to give her things to make her happy and I don't want her to feel hungry and eye my food with that sad pleading look.

I measure out her food according to the bag and her weight and then I cut back on each meal just a bit. About 1/4 cup out of 1 1/2 cup. That allows me to give some treats during the day. I also make sure she's getting exercise. Make sure you're not feeding her right before bed. If she goes to bed right after eating, more of it turns to fat since there's no chance to burn it off. I feed my dog in the morning and then again in the evening at about 6pm.

I don't want to stop her from eating foods she loves. I just have to make sure it's smaller amounts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Veggies are good. But, you can also try this Dog Treats it is good for them. It already contains vitamins and minerals where you can give them an ample amount to keep her lean.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Koby has double Hip Dysplasia. So, we have to keep him lean.
I cook him a large sweet potato and mix it in his food. I take the skin off, because it's too much fiber for him.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Veggies and fruits are good. Green beans, broccoli, sweet potatoes, et... Things with fiber will keep them fuller longer.
Try 3 meals instead of 2 (divide portions into 3 or even 4).
Make sure your dog food doesn’t have any corn in it (many do - read the label if you haven’t). Corn is a sugary carb and will make them hungry faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts