Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the shelter 2 weeks ago and brought home my new baby Millie. She is a sweet chi mix and is 10 lbs and 6 months old. We took her to the vet and she had a clean bill of health. She received her parvo vax and we were sent home with trifexis. After the parvo vax she slept more than usual for a couple of days. Today I gave her the trifexis and she has been very shaky. The shakes started about 2 to 3 hours after her trifexis dose. I read info online about how harmful trifexis can be and now I am extremely concerned and overcome with worry. Have any of you had the symptoms of shakiness with the trifexis? She also kept getting under blankets and such. She never does that either and it is far from cold in my home.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
Keep a good eye on her and if she seems to be getting worse get her to the vet. Let your vet know what happened and get his opinion on what happened. I would switch to a different preventative next month, but I tend to be a mother hen and err on the side of caution.

Reactions: Tuckersmom

·
Registered
455 Posts
Watch her carefully and use a different preventative next month. Some dogs have bad reactions to some preventatives, that doesn't mean they're all horrible or anything. My girl had a bad reaction to the cheap store brand spot on stuff, it made her ears itchy and she scratched at them and shook her head a lot for a week or two after getting it. I actually gave it to her twice before I realized for sure that's what it was.
So just keep a close eye on her and be ready to head to the vet if something serious crops up.
FWIW if you're looking for something new I use Nexgard and have been very happy w it.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
562 Posts
My middle dog, Tiger, also had an unpleasant reaction to Trifexis. I only gave it to my three because, at that time, Sentinel was having trouble with one of their manufacturing plants, and I had to find something in the interim. Now we're back on a combination of Sentinel (oral, for heartworm/fleas) and Sentry Fiproguard (topical, for fleas/ticks), which has been working very well.

Be wary of Advantix also, as there have been a great deal of problems with that as well, though like Trifexis, does work just fine on some animals.

Topicals have notoriously been harder on smaller dogs, the same way some vaccinations are much harder on small dogs. You'll have to be extra careful. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update
She is doing a lot better today. She hasnt been shaky nor have any other problems. Though because of this I will not be using trifexis in the future. Thanks so much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts