Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three dogs in my home. Two are Shihpoos aged 8 and 9. The other dog is a 5 month old yorkie frenchie cross. The issue is I have been unable to integrate the dogs, and they have to be kept separate at all times. We have sessions where they are together, and the puppy sees the snarls and bites coming at her from the other dog as playing. Our older dog is furious and wants to be left alone and is trying to show her that, and the puppy just bounces and wags her tail and thinks this is a sign of playing. I don't really know how to teach a puppy this means back off in dog world.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello!
I find that most adult dogs are NOT big fans of puppies and who could blame them. Eventually, your puppy will grow out of the crazy puppy phase that her housemates find so irritating. I know it's a pain to keep them separated but it probably won't last forever : ) In addition to my advice below, you may want to hire a trainer, at least to get you started.

If you want to increase the chance that all of your dogs will life together peacefully then I would not allow any more negative interactions. Puppy may find their reactions fun now but as an adult may decide to respond, in kind. Until she has matured a bit, I strongly suggest that all of their interactions are controlled, brief and pleasant for everyone.
  • Controlled
    • The puppy should always be contained in some way (leash, pen, gate, etc) and the adults should have more freedom. This will ensure there are no opportunities for a bad interaction. You might think you can just manage them yourself but don't kid yourself. Squabbles (or worse) happen incredibly fast. Fun fact: A dog can bite your hand 3 or more times before you can pull it away.
  • Brief
    • Learning occurs more easily over several short sessions rather than a single long one.
  • Pleasant
    • While the dogs are all 'together' give everyone something fun to do. You could do a training session which not only teaches behaviors but also how to be patient when it's someone else's turn. Or you could give them extra special treats like raw bones, bully sticks, food stuffed toy (lots of recipes online) that they ONLY get when they are together. Time with puppy = our favorite time. Interestingly, engaging your dog's brain with a training session will wear them out more than physical activity. You could also play calming music during these sessions.
To get your puppy the playtime she's dying for, I recommend that you find other playmates in a puppy class, doggy daycare or in friends with small, playful dogs or big, mellow ones. And if no other dogs are available and your puppy wants to play rough and tumble games then grab some big, fun to bite toys and invite her to play with you instead.

You're going to have to be the gate keeper and protect your older dogs from her youthful exuberance but, like I said, it shouldn't take very long. Smaller dogs mature faster than bigger ones so it may only take a few months. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

Sincerely,
Diane Zahorodny

1 - 3 of 3 Posts