Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to spend some time teaching Aspen some 'fun party tricks' this winter. I'm getting a little bored with obedience because she's PERFECT at home, the yard, the park, etc.... she needs help with some very specific distraction issues but I'm working with a trainer on those.

Anyway, while I will continue to keep her obedience up to snuff, I'd like to work in some tricks. Maybe it's dumb but I have ALWAYS wanted a dog that does tricks! Haha.

Can anyone recommend any good books for this? I know there are YouTube videos and stuff but I'd really like to get a couple of books.

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Shandula - do you have that membership? Is it worth it? I consider Aspen very capable of learning anything (and she's built for dexterity and physically challenging tasks) BUT I consider myself very beginner haha.

I thought about that book but I read a few reviews that to get the dog to do something, she bops it in the nose :( I don't want to bop Aspen in the nose...

I should give YouTube another chance haha I just like books.

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess the other reason I like books is that I feel like it'll set me up to start correctly. Left to my own devices, I'm not sure what the best order is to teach things.

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also, I use a marker word, not a clicker... I started using a clicker BUT the kids thought it was great fun and were 'click clicking' all over the house and I didn't want to confuse the poor dog haha

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Shandula - I started teaching leg weaves yesterday. In one of the FB groups that I'm in, someone mentioned that it's one of the easier things to start with. Aspen 'got it' right away. I wasn't sure how she'd feel about walking under me but she couldn't have cared less haha. She is SO smart (sorry, little brag) :)

I love leg weaves when they are seamless. You can do such cool tricks with them. I can't wait until we're at that point :) I'll be sure to share a video when we're there.

PS- I used YouTube to learn this one haha

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We started "sit pretty" last night... haha I took a very poor quality video that I would share if I knew how ;)

Obviously just working on building muscle and balance right now.

· Premium Member
7,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Shandula - how do I find you on YouTube? Currently, my (ONE) video haha is shared on a FB tricks group. They're so nice and giving me lots of advice. :)
@DriveDog - Aspen knows 'paw' but not how to wave. It sounds like that was a hysterical situation! Haha... how did you teach it?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.