Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I know it is probably annoying that I brag about my dogs LOL

Harvick is the most trained. He does the basics; sit, stay, down, stand, come, leave it, take it, easy (for treats), wait, "get it" (to get a toy), shake, "get the kitty" LOL poor cats, and he loves to talk.

Peyton had medical issues through the first few months of us having him so we could not do treats, but he now does "sit", "down" working on "stay" and sometimes doesn't do "come" very well, LOVES to do "crawl" and loves to talk and gives kisses on demand.

Glacier sits and does down!!!! YAY!!!! He has the cutest little look on his face when you do the "come" sign, sits there for a minute like "what the heck do you want" then gallops over excitedly.

Tinkerbell HATES TILE but has learned to sit/down on the tile, in case you didn't know sit/down is a sit but on her hip HAHA she doesn't like her butt touching the cold tile aparently. She also dances and somewhat stays, depending on if you turn the corner or not. She comes (as long as she didn't just go potty on the floor or a blanket).

Wendy....well...sits, does down, comes if she didnt just go potty in my house, and her favorite past time.... humping the stuffed horse...but if she sees you looking at her she darts under the furniture...

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
its not annoying at all, think of it as inspiring. good job, congratulations, it's a lot of work!
btw, i am proud of clover too! if i may brag too, he knows sit, stay, down, come, leave it, roll-over, plays dead when you shoot him with your finger, high-5, shake, stand, he is learning to give me his back paw, on the leash he knows stop and he is learning slow, fast and right left.
i only have one dog though so it is easier to focus a lot of my attention on him.......

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not annoying at all, think of it as inspiring. good job, congratulations, it's a lot of work!
btw, i am proud of clover too! if i may brag too, he knows sit, stay, down, come, leave it, roll-over, plays dead when you shoot him with your finger, high-5, shake, stand, he is learning to give me his back paw, on the leash he knows stop and he is learning slow, fast and right left.
i only have one dog though so it is easier to focus a lot of my attention on him.......
That is so awesome!!! My moms yorkie does roll over LOL but he just keeps going sometimes when he is totally excited. The walking using stop, slow, and directions is amazing! Harvick does slow and quick and I use it to get his attention away from other distractions on walks.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Awesome!

When you have many dogs its hard to keep from teaching one more than the others.

Chili I've had the least amount of time and knows the most (hes fun to train) and Critter I've had three years and can sit on cue...thats it. I've taught her other behaviors but she isn't interested in retaining them ;) so I don't enjoy training her.

Emma does the "bang bang" play dead thing too when you shoot her with your finger.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome!

When you have many dogs its hard to keep from teaching one more than the others.

Chili I've had the least amount of time and knows the most (hes fun to train) and Critter I've had three years and can sit on cue...thats it. I've taught her other behaviors but she isn't interested in retaining them ;) so I don't enjoy training her.

Emma does the "bang bang" play dead thing too when you shoot her with your finger.
I hear ya there. Harvick got a lot of training because of his high threshold. I hate to say it, but we had to prioritize him over the 2 chihuahuas training. Tinkerbell danced when we got her but we taught her to sit and do down. I am trying not to teach Harvick new things and focus on Peyton and Glacier with their basics. It definitely is a chore but I try to take time out of each day to do it. I was shocked to shit when Peyton laid down because I thought he would never care to learn it. As long as the basic behaviors are learned I am happy.

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Oh and Clover sounds very very well trained. We must see some video!
thank you so much, i am very proud of him, we've come so far in the last few months. he isn't "bomb-proof" (i think thats the right term) with all of the cues, but that takes time, i'm just excited that he gets it so fast. as soon as i figure out how to take video of him while i'm training, i'll post, i promise (i keep intending to post still photos of him though and haven't:eek:) maybe you'all could give me some pointers too.....

:Doh, i really have to brag about this, sorry.... last night we had a bbq with our neighbors who have a 4yo son who clover loves. the kid was playing with a ball, just tossing it in the air and catching it. clover, who really wanted to play but was on a trolley/tie out at the time, was very well behaved and patient about the whole thing. every once in a while the ball would roll over to clover and he would grab it and try to get aiden to chase him. aiden would just walk up to clover and hold out his hand and say "give it to me" and clover gave him the ball! i was so impressed with both of them....aiden had to be reminded to tell clover how good he was each time, but he asked for the ball almost how i told him (the real cue is "give") and clover responded, to a little kid (a lot of dogs won't) who didn't even give the cue correctly.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thank you so much, i am very proud of him, we've come so far in the last few months. he isn't "bomb-proof" (i think thats the right term) with all of the cues, but that takes time, i'm just excited that he gets it so fast. as soon as i figure out how to take video of him while i'm training, i'll post, i promise (i keep intending to post still photos of him though and haven't:eek:) maybe you'all could give me some pointers too.....

:Doh, i really have to brag about this, sorry.... last night we had a bbq with our neighbors who have a 4yo son who clover loves. the kid was playing with a ball, just tossing it in the air and catching it. clover, who really wanted to play but was on a trolley/tie out at the time, was very well behaved and patient about the whole thing. every once in a while the ball would roll over to clover and he would grab it and try to get aiden to chase him. aiden would just walk up to clover and hold out his hand and say "give it to me" and clover gave him the ball! i was so impressed with both of them....aiden had to be reminded to tell clover how good he was each time, but he asked for the ball almost how i told him (the real cue is "give") and clover responded, to a little kid (a lot of dogs won't) who didn't even give the cue correctly.
Wow! To me...a dog who responds well to a child is amazing and well mannered. My dogs are afraid of kids (Peyton tries to run away, Harvick tries to run towards!) except for Glacier (probably because he can't hear them LOL). I think that is awesome. My parents dogs are just like Clover in this sense with not barking and jumping for a toy, they sit and just wiggle their bodies haha. Never had luck with my crew :rolleyes:

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
Wow! To me...a dog who responds well to a child is amazing and well mannered. My dogs are afraid of kids (Peyton tries to run away, Harvick tries to run towards!) except for Glacier (probably because he can't hear them LOL). I think that is awesome. My parents dogs are just like Clover in this sense with not barking and jumping for a toy, they sit and just wiggle their bodies haha. Never had luck with my crew :rolleyes:
i know, that is why i was sooooo excited. i didn't do anything for that either, clover came that way, which is especially great because he just keeps getting bigger and bigger......anyhow, gosh i'm lucky!!!!!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Yes I know it is probably annoying that I brag about my dogs LOL

Harvick is the most trained. He does the basics; sit, stay, down, stand, come, leave it, take it, easy (for treats), wait, "get it" (to get a toy), shake, "get the kitty" LOL poor cats, and he loves to talk.
Ok Lol what is "get the kitty"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts