Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I want to share a video of my dog performing all of the tricks he knows. I find that both training and performing are an excellent way to stimulate Loki.

Please share any tricks and training tips you might have! Always looking for new things to teach Loki!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfFFV8k2_E0

My training tips below:

Loki performs his tricks, sit, paw, down, crawl, rollover, bang (play dead) and speak.

To teach sit, hold the treat above head and clearly say, "Sit". You may have to show once or twice, but you should not continue to do it for them.

To teach paw, take their hand, and say paw, when they register this, reward. After the first few times, stop showing them. They will remember.

To teach down, bring the treat down to the ground, you can gently pull their front legs forward to get them into position, say down, and reward. Again show them a few more times, and then let them do it.

To teach speak, Hold the treat above the dogs head, say speak. The dog will try many things before grunting or barking in frustration. Reward.

To teach crawl, from the down position, slowly drag a treat from there nose. If they stand up, reset your position. Eventually the dog will crawl.

To teach rollover, from down position, hold treat below dogs nose, bring towards there chest, and slowly up and around the neck. You can assist them in rolling, reward when they are upright again.

To teach "play dead" or bang, from the down position, teach them to rest, by gently rolling them onto their side. Repeat in combination with down command and reward. Add "bang" or "play dead" with a hand signal to the beginning of your command. Phase out, down and rest commands.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dog Bindi knows all that you said except crawl and speak. (though I'm planning to try crawl. So, good to hear how you managed it! As for speak, she does that plenty. ;) )
She also knows 'hold', where I put a piece of food on her forehead and she leaves it there until I say 'okay'. Teaching that was just a matter of holding her still and making her stay a few seconds, and lots of repetition, getting a bit longer each time.

What I call 'dance', which is where she spins in a circle, once one way once the other, then hops up for the treat. Still working on that one though because I have to make some hand motions for her to get it. And the motions are how I taught it- just moved the treat in a circle above her head so she followed it.

And 'through'- where I make a loop with my arms and she jumps through it. That one took a volunteer, who did the loop while I brought the treat through their arms, and rewarded her whenever she went through instead of around.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Trucker doesn't know play dead or rollover but he can do follow(he walks with his nose on the back of my thigh), up (stands on hind legs), four paws (stands on bosu ball), wait (from down he waits to go get the treat till I tell him), bow, quite (stop barking) and he can give his paw from sitting, laying down, or standing on hind legs. Of course he knows leave it too. He can turn too (while standing on hind legs or in natural position).

·
Registered
871 Posts
Tricks are so much fun!

For her basic obedience Aayla knows
Sit, Down, Stand, Stay (sit/down/stay), Come, Heel, Switch (heel on left then move to right, then back again), Back up, Touch, Drop it, Leave it, Watch me, off, up

For tricks Aayla knows
Shake (L+R), High five (L+R), wave (L+R), give me 10, back leg shake, roll over crawl, get it, beg, blow bubbles, platform stand front legs, pivot on platform, weave between legs, spin,

I've been trying to teach Aayla to speak. Aayla actually rarely barks. She doesn't make any noises when we make whine/howl with her. She just stares at me. I'm not going to be very upset if she never barks but still thought it is a cute trick. I had my previous dogs do it but they were a lot more talkative.

·
Registered
880 Posts
@ThatYellowDog
You gave me some awesome ideas for Trucker command list: Back up, Touch, High five, wave (we have been working on this), give me 10, get it, beg, blow bubbles

·
Registered
871 Posts
@TruckersMom I have a huge list of things I want to teach Aayla but I can't find it. Pepper knew 80+ different commands. I wrote it all don't but I can't find the list. There sure are fun things to work on.

You should get a video of Trucker turning on his hind legs!

Reactions: TruckersMom

·
Registered
880 Posts
@TruckersMom I have a huge list of things I want to teach Aayla but I can't find it. Pepper knew 80+ different commands. I wrote it all don't but I can't find the list. There sure are fun things to work on.

You should get a video of Trucker turning on his hind legs!
I am going to try too. His balance up there is awesome (especially considering how big he is).

80+ is so many. I want to teach him to open and close a door using ropes too.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I am going to try too. His balance up there is awesome (especially considering how big he is).

80+ is so many. I want to teach him to open and close a door using ropes too.
I would love to see it! You don't normally see big dogs with that balance! I eventually want to try and see if I can train Aayla to do a hand stand. I imagine that's years down the road.

Pepper knew that! It actually was really easy to teach. The tug on command is super easy if Trucker has any tug drive. Closing was just a variation of touch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't know if all of these are necessarily "tricks" as I am not primarily a trick trainer, but they are commands my Zico knows from Schutzhund as well as his time moving cattle.

Sit/Setz
Down/Platz
Heel/Fuss
Here (Performing a front)
Over (Jump)
Such (Track)
Search (Running a blind)
Run (Send out)
Bring (Retrieval)
Hands (Will place is head in my hands to bring back a toy)
Carry (Will take the toy/ball/sleeve/whatever and carry it)
Aus/Out (Will either cease to engage the helper, drop toy, leave an article, whichever)
Take it (Take toy, ball, etc. He is only allowed to take his toys or the bite tug if I say so)

Come by (Goes right, around cattle)
Way to me (Goes left, around cattle)
Get a hold (Will bite/agitate a difficult cow)
Get ahead (Will go to the front of the herd and turn them back, also if just walking or on a trail he will go out in front of me)
Wait (Will put himself into a crouch position and hold still)

As far as just regular household tricks go, he knows these:

Sit/Down/Stay/Stand (As covered by the schutzhund)
Crawl
Roll over
Spin
Speak

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would love to see it! You don't normally see big dogs with that balance! I eventually want to try and see if I can train Aayla to do a hand stand. I imagine that's years down the road.

Pepper knew that! It actually was really easy to teach. The tug on command is super easy if Trucker has any tug drive. Closing was just a variation of touch.
Oh My Goodness:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5IwdgWdypg

I would like him to handstand as I can, it would be cool if we both could.

·
Registered
880 Posts
This is not the best video. I made him fall half way because I was trying to video and released my hand from the tip of his nose.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine don't know any exciting things lol. Just the basics. Older dog knows sit, lie down, spin which she only does when we're at the front door to dry off her feet, paw, two paw, boop(touch my hand with her nose), coming when called and wait. New puppy knows sit, lie down, learning come, leave it, learning wait and touch(touch my hand). I use a different que for that for the new pup compared to my older dog because I want to build on it with my new pup and my older dog hates training and had no chance of it really building into anything else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts