Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Going on two weeks ago yesterday one of my cats was almost coyote chow. I swear to you he must of used 7 out of 9 lives to get away. But it dislocated his hip and so Sprocket came home yesterday from surgery. He's in a dog crate for at least a month and I worry about his mental stimulation as well as his physical exercise. It got me thinking that it would he a good challenge to try clicker training him so that I have a tricky kitty as well as a tricky dog lol.

Sprockoid is highly food motivated, eating everything (lasagna included lol). He also has a few games he likes to play but I need to keep him quiet for at least 10 days.

Where would I begin? Same as a dog and build value into my marker?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about that scary experience with your kitty and I'm glad he's healing up!

I imagine that for the first few days Sprocket will probably be pretty tired and sore so keeping him quiet for 10 days shouldn't be a huge problem and I wouldn't worry about training him or engaging in anything that would involve a lot of moving for at least a week.

Can he sit up? Oliver my cat knows how to shake for food. It's good that Sprock is food motivated! I would just take his paw and lift it and then treat, and eventually he realized if I put my hand out I wanted him to shake my hand. Being mischievous though, he tries to offer a paw at dinner now even when I don't want to shake his paw and throw him some turkey!

You can also teach mind games with food to keep him busy like folding an origami paper box and putting treats in there to see if he can unfold it and get the treats out. Oscar, my other cat, is a picky eater but he loves fish and will happily unfold a box for a fishy snack.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You can also teach mind games with food to keep him busy like folding an origami paper box and putting treats in there to see if he can unfold it and get the treats out. Oscar, my other cat, is a picky eater but he loves fish and will happily unfold a box for a fishy snack.
That's a brilliant idea.

I'd wait on the c/t 'till your vet thinks moderate activity is okay. Then train just like a dog or not. I'm practicing on Batman & Simba right now, and the only difference is that the non-trainee howls, but I guess dogs might do that do. Free - shaping is a great way to see what your cat is inclined to do.

Reactions: cos
1 - 3 of 3 Posts