Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Various dogs doing various tricks

These are not new, not old :) enjoy

Shaping session with Chili learning to wipe his face and backup and do "sleepy" (lay down with head on floor)
;)YouTube - MVI 0361

Chili @17 weeks showing off.
YouTube - MVI 0352

Chili doing "shimmy" (backup while laying down)
Tippy And Emma doing "leave it" and other silly things
YouTube - Tricks ; )

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
Various dogs doing various tricks

These are not new, not old :) enjoy

Shaping session with Chili learning to wipe his face and backup and do "sleepy" (lay down with head on floor)
;)YouTube - MVI 0361

Chili @17 weeks showing off.
YouTube - MVI 0352

Chili doing "shimmy" (backup while laying down)
Tippy And Emma doing "leave it" and other silly things
YouTube - Tricks ; )
Wow that leave it focus from the girls is awesome!!!! Harvick focus' when we do leave it, Peyton is learning leave it and picking up real quick but looks away sometimes and looks at me other times.

If chili was any cuter I would steal him from you. LOL jk ;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow that leave it focus from the girls is awesome!!!! Harvick focus' when we do leave it, Peyton is learning leave it and picking up real quick but looks away sometimes and looks at me other times.

If chili was any cuter I would steal him from you. LOL jk ;)

thank you :)

Looking away its ok too...depends what you want, som' people just want the dog to avoid the food. I wanted them to know the food was theirs if they asked for it by looking at me.

I honestly think "leave it" is their favorite game. They get so focused and serious about it, especially Tippy. Since that video we have progressed to rolling it across the floor and tossing it at them...lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I don't mind him looking away, its a start :) Harvick looks away. Peyton's favorite has got to be "crawl" LOL Harvick's is "shake" and "take a bow"

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
ooh i just watched your video, i think you should teach your cockatoo to give vocal commands to the dogs and teach the dogs to do them....it would be an interesting challenge for you

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ooh i just watched your video, i think you should teach your cockatoo to give vocal commands to the dogs and teach the dogs to do them....it would be an interesting challenge for you

ahah thats brilliant

Unfortunately the 'too is not the most eager pupil...I have yet to find a reinforcer he will work for on a regular basis...

It also doesn't help that the 'too wants nothing to do with me, and everything to do with my husband...who wants nothing to do with him...ARRRGG!!!

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
thank you :)

Looking away its ok too...depends what you want, som' people just want the dog to avoid the food. I wanted them to know the food was theirs if they asked for it by looking at me.

I honestly think "leave it" is their favorite game. They get so focused and serious about it, especially Tippy. Since that video we have progressed to rolling it across the floor and tossing it at them...lol

Just a quick question here. Are you using "leave it" as a camand to wait for the treat? Not a big deal at all but I use "leave it" for something my dog is not allowed to have. I use "wait" for my dog to wait for something he is allowed to have and then "get it" as a comand to go ahead and take whatever he is waiting for. Just curious if you use a another comand for something your dog isnt allowed to have? Or mabye I am just confused here? lol Fizz is becoming really good at waiting. Does it really well for food, starting to wait for toys to.

Tim

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Just a quick question here. Are you using "leave it" as a camand to wait for the treat? Not a big deal at all but I use "leave it" for something my dog is not allowed to have. I use "wait" for my dog to wait for something he is allowed to have and then "get it" as a comand to go ahead and take whatever he is waiting for. Just curious if you use a another comand for something your dog isnt allowed to have? Or mabye I am just confused here? lol Fizz is becoming really good at waiting. Does it really well for food, starting to wait for toys to.

Tim
at that moment, they are not allowed to have it :)

I use "wait" as "stay"

I use leave it for both the behaviors you describe...I want the behavior to be VERY strong, The video was made also during the early stages of learning "leave it" . I also train it with a reward from another hand som'times. But they will recieve the in hand reward as well.

basically, Im using Premack...because I feel premack creates a stronger behavior than simply rewarding the dog to ignore som'thing and only letting them have the reward, not what they originally wanted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premack's_principle

The act of waiting for the reward, becomes reinforcing in itself
Premack's Principle suggests that if a student wants to perform a given activity, the student will perform a less desirable activity to get at the more desirable activity. Premack's Principle suggests that if a student wants to perform a given activity, the student will perform a less desirable activity to get at the more desirable activity.

When a dog is learning a new behavior with new criteria (different part of the house, different treat, dogs around whatever) you want to keep the success rate for the dog HIGH. Then as they succeed, you either offer harder criteria, or if you are happy with what you've made, you put it on a reinforcement schedual and change the reinforcer to praise. Early on in the game, if they dog doesn't get what it wants, it may feel punished and the behavior may fall apart.

We are now towards the end of proofing indoors, I can throw treats at them or past them and they will leave them alone...outdoors som' of the dogs are still playing the basic game, Tippy is further than the others.

Are you familiar with variable reinforcement? Som'times the animal is NOT rewarded for the behavior, so it becomes stronger...In the real life situations when they are told leave it...they obviously don't get to have the object/reward which is a similar premise. Also that said, if they find som'thing harmless, I will ask them to leave it there, they then defer to me and then I let them have it... Chili likes napkins...lol

that said, I honestly have little use for this behavior as other than a trick... If they are on leash and see som'thing they want, I just manage the behavior (don't let them walk there) or ask for attention.... Honestly tho...99% of the time they see food on the ground, they will just ignore it, or imediatly defer to me... my goal is to have them defer to me without me asking them too....this way they will leave things alone even if Iam not in the room, without me asking. :) Perhaps Its time to update the vid.

if they are off leash i simply recall them, which is solid in the three dogs that aren't deaf. :p

anyway basically...I want the dogs to learn that they DONT immediatly get the treat in my hand...even tho its in their face. At least at this stage

Does that explain it? lol wow that got long...

how did you teach leave it? Iam curious:) :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
here a recent one...Iam backchaining a retrieve with Tippy....teaching her the last step first and going backwards....

All of this had to be shaped from scratch...holy cow...getting this dog to put anything in her mouth took forever...once it was there tho...it was there :)

she had never seen this object before. I was tickled pink that she interacted with it the way I wanted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpi6INEFgWE

this dog is so fast...so short...and walks so funny...which isn't helping ME lol

this video is about a month old maybe more..CHili working on "back leg"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s2jktZ-deg

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
omg that clear baby gate is what we finally found and got since our ferrets can climb the regular ones! LOL Tippy rocks btw!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tippys no lab...but her retrieve is *finished*

I finally have her targeting my hand for the drop! I decided not to have her hold the item, since she has enough trouble.

voila!

YouTube - VTECsqznN2O's Channel

first time I have done backchaining...it was alot of fun for us both I think. Tippy would not pick up objects before this.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
That's excellent! Good job Tippy! :D
I know she has nuerological issues and it's a shame, but the way she moves is absurdly cute!! Lol

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's excellent! Good job Tippy! :D
I know she has nuerological issues and it's a shame, but the way she moves is absurdly cute!! Lol

thank you!

most people (who don't know her) start laughing and say how cute she walks and then they have a moment of silence where you can see the wheels turning after which they ask if she is ok. :p Its funny to watch strangers go from laughing to horror to relief again.

shes drunk 24/7 lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
that is funny bc i was thinking the same thing! and i also think her deformed ear is adorable too...mostly what makes it so cute to me is that she doesn't have a pathetic/downtrodden personality...i mean she wags her tail so hard she almost knocks herself off balance! cute happy little thing....

and that was an awesome retrieve! btw, i saw you were using a pen? did you say she was also picking up other things too?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I taught her using a pen since the other trainers I talked to suggested I use a rigid object...

but yeah she will retrieve other things...I had her bringing me a hotwheel car the other night...lol so far she'll bring, any pen or marker, tops off gatorade, hair rubber bands, a knob off som'thing, small stuffed toys, and an empty dog food can. The problem Iam having is finding objects small enough for her...she is a tiny dog.

another problem Iam having is if I throw the pen too far she acts like she can't see it...I am actually goin to look into buying a dumbell set now that I know Iam capable of teaching this. :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that was literally his 3-4th time...I didn't even build up to it...with Tippy i had to build up distance slooooowly...I just threw it three feet away as a joke almost and he went and got it...twice...so I grabbed the camera.

Of course, once again, a tiny dog, so not very useful unless I drop pens and other tiny objects. lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts