Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the most appropriate category to post this in - please feel free to move if it isn't...
I want to sign up for an online trick training class. Does anyone have suggestions? I am experienced with clicker training, and have a decent arsenal of "silly dog tricks" already, but looking for inspiration for new tricks; something to motivate us to learn something new, not just go through our old repertoire over and over... My imagination is terrible ;)
I am looking at Kyre Sundance's classes and also Kikopup's "weekly inspirations". Has anyone here tried either program? Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@aspen - yes I am on FB
Awesome! There are lots of great groups on there!

I belong to one called Tricks and Training. There's another one run by Sara Carson called Heroic Novice Spark Team. If you haven't heard of Sara, look up The Super Collies- they're awesome! Those are my two favorite groups! I've posted a bunch and gotten really awesome feedback. Aspen and I love tricks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Aspen, I sent join requests for both. I am familiar with the Supercollies from Instagram. They are amazing!

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
One thing I totally forgot to mention is that through the Spark Team group, you can get your Trick Dog Titles. I haven't submitted any yet but I consider it sometimes.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
One thing I totally forgot to mention is that through the Spark Team group, you can get your Trick Dog Titles. I haven't submitted any yet but I consider it sometimes.
I've looked at those because it's a title Chisum can earn without having to be in the presence of a super stranger. Do you know much about the submission process? Do you have to submit a video or just the application?

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
@PoppyKenna I'm not positive. Join the group and ask. Everyone is so nice! I've seen people post videos and Sara Carson witnesses it. The form in the files section is Kyra Sundance's program so I think you send the form after Sara approves it?

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Dexter has his novice through expert titles. Has what he needs for the campion level title but I'm a terrible procrastinator...

First 4 levels are easy to submit for. I did it online. Can also be done via mailing in a form. Just need a witness to verify. Unless things have changed, can be a spark coach via video or someone else in person. I've served as a witness for several students. Dexter's witness was the trainer we take classes with.

The champion title requires video submission.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
Question for those that train tricks:

Do you train more than one at a time? I have been but I'm not getting great results lately and I wonder if it's confusing her a bit. I thought it would make things more interesting but maybe I'm wrong haha
@kmes @Shandula @MdDVM @jclark343 and anyone else who wants to chime in :)

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I train multiple tricks at the same time. Otherwise it is going to be boring for me and for the dogs. The one thing I try to be careful of is not teaching tricks that are too similar at the same time. So I don't teach "play dead" and "roll over" at the same time because the criteria is almost the same, and I feel like they would get confused.

I do like mixing up the tricks we work on in one session. Usually one more stationary one like Sit pretty or be shy, an then one that's more active like spins or leg weaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: MdDVM and Aspen726

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
I train multiple tricks at the same time. Otherwise it is going to be boring for me and for the dogs. The one thing I try to be careful of is not teaching tricks that are too similar at the same time. So I don't teach "play dead" and "roll over" at the same time because the criteria is almost the same, and I feel like they would get confused.

I do like mixing up the tricks we work on in one session. Usually one more stationary one like Sit pretty or be shy, an then one that's more active like spins or leg weaves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok thanks! This is similar to what I do.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
I do train more than one thing at a time.But ditto that I try to not work on new similar tricks at the same time (ie. Wouldn't start Rollover and play dead at the same time) and keep it generally one new trick per training session. In classes or days I'm working longer periods of time, I do mini breaks between sessions. So might be just a bit of play, settle on mat while another dog works, petting/massage, etc. then back to work. I don't normally switch directly from one new/in progress behavior to another. I might with known tricks and behaviors though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Yea... I don't trick train. Lol. I barely find time to work on my agility work. I'm a total slacker who just got lucky with easy dogs. :)

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
Not a problem. I wish I had more time time and I could. My dogs know a few things like Roxie can speak loud and soft and Forbes can put them up and bang (play dead) but really if I have any spare time I am working on his weaves and her control.

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
@jclark343 - Everyone has their priorities. I teach tricks instead of loose leash walking because it makes me want to pull my hair out. :B

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
@Shandula, Oh don't worry, we have LLW issues as well (but amazingly it's only if they are either together or my husband is walking them).

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I train pretty much like Shandula does - multiple behaviors, but not ones that can be easily confused (especially if free shaping), and usually vary "fast, fun" work (agility drills, freestyle spins, etc with "brain work" (shaping, positions, nose/paw targeting, etc)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts