Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since coming home Trucker has been slowing creeping up in weight, currently I am not worried about where he is at (a solid 61.2lbs) but if it continues it will be of a concern.

We do quite a bit of training on commands every day, he loves it, I love it, it builds our bond. But about 50 % of the time he gets some type of treat from preforming the command, this treat can range in a piece of kibble to a high value treat of cheese or chicken (if he is learning something new).

He also get high value treats when it come to his anxiety triggers (especially when he is behaving appropriately and working hard to overcome them) and there are a lot of them. So it seems like he is getting these high calorie high value treats a lot of the time.

It is working for him in helping him with getting better with his triggers and learning new commands but clearly it is also helping him with putting on the pounds too. Is there a way to give low calorie high value treats?

p.s. It is VERY important to me that he stays at a healthy weight as I am super conscious I have healthy weight animals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Why don't you just lower his meal time food intake?

Right now, Maia gets 60% of her daily amount of kibble from training. The other 40% she gets in the form of puzzle toys around meal times. If I'm working on something that requires a lot of high calorie, high value treats, I decrease the amount she gets in meals. As a high-energy and growing puppy, I find this method works

If you need to be more precise, you can also calculate the calorie intake Tucker is supposed to have based on how much dog food he's getting. You can then make sure that when you train him, you substitute the appropriate caloric amount in treats for kibble. (i.e. if you give him 150calories in cheese, you take 150calories out of his meal time)

Lower calorie treats (they aren't super high value for Maia) include: zucchini, cucumber, apples, banana. These usually go in her Kong and puzzle toys rather than being used as training rewards. Every once and a while I do regular training with these items.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,929 Posts
Its simple use meat and reduce the amount you give at meal time by the amount you use for treats. Meat builds lean body mass treats often are carbs that just make fat. I get the turkey strips already cut in the package, cook in a pan cut into small bits and freeze in snack size zip lock bags fur future use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I know part of his "calorie" problem is he eats Grain-Free food which in itself is higher in calories that it's filler counter parts. I will try removing more of his meal time kibble to account for the high value treat calories (I already remove about half a cup to use a kibble treats).
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top