Dog Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned dogs for decades - all well trained. But even though I'm an old dog - I'm open to new tricks. I've been inspired by You Tube videos of the results of super early training using treats -- for everything. Seems like it might be faster than my standard 'good dog' methods. Anyway, I have a 9 week old Great Dane puppy that I am going to try this new method on. I made up a batch of 3 pounds of chicken (home made; slow baked in the oven [dried] - with a little peanut butter dribbled over it while it was cooking for added flavor), a few hot dogs and some string cheese - and put the blend into zip lock bags. Each bag contains about 3/4 cup of treats. If my pup should be getting about 3-4 cups of food per day, I presume that would include the 3/4 cups of treats (correct?). Based on the videos, it appears even a 10 minute training session can probably go through half that 3/4 of a cup of treats. It almost seems impossible to use treat training effectively without making a pup sick -- or at least compromising his diet. However, if I stick to my rationed amount of no more than 3/4 of a cup per day, my training seems like it will be rather limited, timewise - or no where near as much treats as the 'professional' trainers appear to give. Please advise.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts