Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on long distance traveling with a dog by yourself during the summer? Typically on a 6 hour journey I will need to stop and use the bathroom and pump gas. I know that leaving a dog in a locked car by themselves is a no no because of how hot it can get but how do I ensure the safety of my dog as well as my property during these hot months?

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
When you fill the car with gas, just leave the doors open (assuming the dog is secured in a travel area or similar), unless you have aircon which would keep the car cool for a few minutes even with the engine off.

If you need to use a bathroom, park in the shade and, unless you have aircon as above, leave windows open a little bit - you are only going to be moments.

If you are doing a lot of travel, it might be a good idea to invest in an aircon system.

Depending on the type of car you have, there are some cars that can be fitted with a device that holds a door open enough to ventilate but not enough for someone to get into it.

You can also get cooling coats and cooling mats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can understand your problem dear. I have a German Shepherd which I bought from Fine Line Family K-9 and he does well for me. As I'm a travel lover, I love to take my dog with me. Here are some tips for you:

• Make sure your pet’s vaccinations are up-to-date.
• Keep your pets safe and secure in a well-ventilated crate or carrier.
• Geared up for a long trip by taking him on a series of short drives first.
• Start with a light meal three to four hours before departure.
• If you're traveling by car, don't allow your pet to ride with his head outside the window.

I hope it helps. :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don’t think it should be that big of a problem, since it’s not a very long journey. Like you said you’d probably only had to leave the car to use the bathroom. When pumping gas I assume you just stand outside the car for a few minutes? And how long could it take to use the bathroom, maybe 10 minutes tops (depends on queues and stuff ofc).

I’d follow Joannes advise. But I also recommend a silver shade for the car. Leave the dog with water and preferably cooling matt/coat or similar. This is a good investment anyhow and very useful in other situations than just car-rides. I also suggest that you write a note and stick it to the window where you write your phone number, for people to call if they’re concerned for the dog. Write the time when you left and that you’re just in the nearest building for a few minutes.

If you have a more built in car crate you could have that locked with the trunk open. Then the car doesn’t get as hot (still gets very hot) but the dog is still secure. But maybe it’s risky to leave it all the way open?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have a large battery operated fan that I turn on if I have to stop for a few moments and can also leave the back up on my van. They are in crates that are fastened in and also padlocked so nobody can let them out. Very seldom have done this as leave them home if it is too hot but if I was travelling this would work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
A sick, injured or pregnant pet must be kept at home. In case your dog suffers from motion sickness, or is sensitive, irritable, physically or mentally ill, and emotionally unstable when changing his daily routine, you should leave him alone. home. This makes sense, when you have a short, fast tour.

Would the trip be really fun from a pet's point of view? Will your pet be locked in a hotel room while you are enjoying, sunbathing on the beach or playing roller coaster?

You should keep the dog where he is most comfortable, such as curling up on the bench or asking a friend or relative to take care of him. You can also send your dog to pet centers that provide pet care when the owner is away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts