Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a couple of years I plan to relocate from upstate NY to central Florida. I plan to fly down there. The problem is how best to transport my dog. I found out I have to buy a kennel for this purpose. I found out there are pet shipping companies and certain airlines that will do the shipping. My dog is five years old and fifteen pounds. Any suggestions or recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
A dog that size will fit in a soft kennel that fits under an airline seat. That way, you can keep your dog with you in the cabin of the plane, and not have to send it in the cargo hold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gee, I didn't think my dog's size qualified. The images I saw on one airliner web sites showed showed a much smaller dog in a hardened kennel stowed under the front seat of the plane. I'll have to check further now to find out if what you said is a possibility. That would be great. So my dog in the soft bag would be my carry on? What about transferring? Do airports allow you to carry a dog around in the soft kennel? The few times I've been to airports, I've never seen that.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Gee, I didn't think my dog's size qualified. The images I saw on one airliner web sites showed showed a much smaller dog in a hardened kennel stowed under the front seat of the plane. I'll have to check further now to find out if what you said is a possibility. That would be great. So my dog in the soft bag would be my carry on? What about transferring? Do airports allow you to carry a dog around in the soft kennel? The few times I've been to airports, I've never seen that.
The type off kennel is dictated by the air line. If you do not follow them you will not be allowed on the plane. This is from american air you will have to check with the airline you fly.

Kennel guidelines for carry-on pets
When carrying on your pet, you’ll need to make sure that they can stand up, turn around and lie down in a natural position in their kennel. Non-collapsible kennels can be a maximum of 19in x 13in x 9in.

Soft-sided collapsible kennels such as Sherpa bags can be larger if they're made of water-repellant, padded or the have nylon have mesh ventilation on 2 or more sides.
*American Airlines assumes no liability for the health or well-being of carry-on pets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I measured my dog (Coton de Tulear). He's 15" high and 24" long when standing. I called Delta and spoke with a salesman. He said the seats on some of their planes only have nine inch clearance in height. He said if I bought a soft kennel and my pet dog could fit in one that was 20" x 9" x 12" then I would be able to carry him on the plane and put him under the seat in front of me. When my pet dog is lying down, he usually curls up his body, so he'd be taking up much less space. He didn't say my dog would have to be able to stand up and turn around as a carry-on. I didn't get a definitive answer, though.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have never flown with a pet before, but I do know that southwest seems to be an airline a lot of pet owners use. My husband drove from NJ to FL overnight when he moved here so I'm aware of how dreadful it can be, but you always have to have back up options. Hope it all works out in the end!

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Here's from Delta's webpage: Pet Travel Options | Delta Air Lines

The following restrictions apply to pets traveling as carry-on baggage:
Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel without touching or protruding from the sides of the kennel and with the ability to move around.
The kennel must fit under the seat directly in front of you.
Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.
Your pet must remain inside the kennel (with door secured) while in a Delta boarding area (during boarding and deplaning), a Delta airport lounge and while onboard the aircraft.
Your pet must be at least 10 weeks old for Domestic and International travel.
Your pet counts as one piece of carry-on baggage.Pet in Cabin fees still apply.
One pet is permitted per kennel with the following exceptions:
*One female cat/dog may travel with her un-weaned litter if the litter is a minimum of 10 weeks old to 6 months of age.
*There is no limit on the number of animals in the litter.
It sounds like you're going to have to call them with your flight number to get specific dimensions. Not sure if that's what you did when you called or if you were asking in general. But the guy sorta covered it since it does depend on the plane. The plane you're flying on may or may not require those dimensions.

Anyway, it does sound like your dog is probably going to be too big for carry on. For flying with him as checked baggage, here's the info: Pet Travel Options | Delta Air Lines

And requirements for checking as baggage: Pet Travel Requirements & Restrictions | Delta Air Lines

I personally would probably just drive. I know your circumstances are different, but for me it would definitely be more inconvenient to fly lol.

Oh and since you said this isn't happening until a couple years out, at least you have lots of time to research airlines. Not sure if you have to stick with delta or if you prefer because you have points or rewards or something. But some airlines are more pet friendly than others.

Also, there are services that will drive your pet from point A to point B too, but it will likely be pricier given the distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts