Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Echo has been having poor quality stool for a while, the vet is pretty sure there isn't anything medical going on. She started to loose her enthusiasm for her current hills ideal balance dry food at the same time.

We started on canidae pure foundations today 1/4. She picked all of it out and left her hills, I think we're on to a winner!

·
Registered
256 Posts
I can totally relate!
After getting our puppy at the end of January, we switched her from Blue Protection Formular to 4Health Grain Free Duck, she liked it, but wasn't going nuts about it. However, her coat and stool improved tremendously (from matt black to a shiny black/brown, hardly any dandruff and fur growing thicker).
Then I found Canidae pure Elements Sea and she absolutely loved it! We switched her a week ago (with introducing the food the week before) and so far all is going great!

I keep my fingers crossed it'll be the same with Echo :)

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
200 Posts
My dog had a lot of anal gland problems (which can occur from too soft of stool) when she was on the Hill's dry food-it's junk! We had to switch her. You can transition her over about a week (at the very least). Any faster than that may cause tummy upset and GI issues. This is how I transition my girl Bella, and I've had to do it a lot because of allergies!

Day 1 & 2 - 3/4 old, 1/4 new
Day 3, 4 & 5 - 1/2 and 1/2
Day 6 & 7 - 3/4 new, 1/4 old
Day 8 - 100% new

If you find its still hard over the transition you could get some probiotics to help settle her stomach.

Hope this helps!
Kerri

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's common knowledge that if you switch dog food, you should do it gently, but someone I know (who really knows A LOT about dogs), told me that if you switch to better quality food, you shouldn't worry about it. Your dog will not get digestive problems.
I switched from Royal Canin to Magnusson without any problems whatsoever! I'm very happy with Magnusson, their fur is so shiny and beautiful! And their poops too! Which is a guideline for me: good poop = good food :D !

Love x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts