Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Ernie since October. I trained him to ring a bell to tell us he needs to go outside. He will do it every time is he doesn't have access to the back of the house. We've been keeping doors closed and baby gates up but my small kids keep leaving them open and are frustrated by the difficult gates. So there have been accidents. If Ernie can get to the back of the house, he chooses to pee/poo there rather than go outside. (Usually a problem if the weather isn't ideal. He's finicky about rain)

I'm sick of gates myself. Would it be feasible to boundary train him out of the back of the house? If he's sneaking back there to pee/poo, will he just break the rules and sneak over the boundary?

Yes I've tried tethering him to me and watching like a hawk and crating when I can't.... he will be fine and no accidents and asking to go out for weeks and weeks. A door gets let open or a gate not latched and he goes back there instead of ringing his bell.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't know much about boundary training. But I think as part of your housetraining you should introduce him to various places in the house he'll eventually be allowed to be in. I would guess that since the back of your house is blocked off, he doesn't recognize it as part of the house and instead as a nice sheltered place to do his business. Maybe try taking him into that area and play some games, feed him his dinner, and just generally make it part of the house?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I really think it depends on the dog. With Chess, I can make certain rooms off limits and very quickly she stops going in. Echo may stop when I'm watching her, but if there's no physical barrier, she's going to go in if I'm not watching. I'd give it a try!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.