Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as some of you might know by now I adopted a young (7/8 month old) whippet cross around 2 weeks ago.
She has settled in quite well and formed a great bond with our other dog BUT I am a little worried that she hasn't bonded with myself or my partner all that great yet. She is really good in the house, always comes when called, gets down off furniture when told and has learnt sit and lie down very well. However as soon as we leave the house for our walks she 'forgets' her name and completely ignores us - meaning I cant let her off the leash yet.
I am putting it down to not having any time on my own with her to do more training as my other dog is there constantly.

My other dog is very smart and quite well trained, he has an amazing bond with both myself and my partner and never strays far when off leash on walks - also always comes when called.

I would like to work on Lexi alone but I have never had 2 dogs before. Is it ok to put my other dog into a separate room while I concentrate on new tricks etc with Lexi? (I feel guilty doing this)

Would it be ok to walk them separately one at a time and leave the other behind now and again? (I would ask my partner to help but he is always so busy that so far he hasn't had any time to help me with this)

Any other tips on things I could do to strengthen the bond with our new pup?

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you right now. I have a 12 year old Shiba and because my pup is still learning leash manners and training, I walk them separately. I think it's totally fine to walk them separately but I will always walk my older dog first. I put Mia (puppy) in the kitchen with some treats and toys while I take my Shiba out first. Once he's happy with his alone time with me, he'll go off and sleep and do his own thing while I take the pup out for her walk and training.

The only time I will walk them together is when I have taken Mia out to the park/field to run around and burn off some energy first. Otherwise she gets too excited when we talk together and she'll try to go over to his side and bother him. (She walks on my left, my Shiba walks on my right).

Once she's calmer and better behaved on her walks I can start walking them together more regularly.

I have both my dogs separated right now, Mia is in the kitchen/foyer area and Keiko (Shiba) is in the living room area. That's the only way I can train/bond with Mia without her being distracted (the moment I remove the baby gates she charges and terrorizes Keiko). At first I felt guilty for confining Keiko, but as long as he got his treats, exercise and attention from me he was fine on his own. Shibas are very independent dogs though, I don't know what your other dog's personality is like. I just had to learn how to divide my time.

For example when I get home, I will greet Keiko first and pet him (because he's always calm, Mia is jumping up and down and trying to climb the baby gate). Then when Mia is sitting and calm I will pet her, take her out quickly to pee and then put her back in the kitchen. Then I will take Keiko out for a walk, give him a treat, a few good body rubs/scratches and put him into the living room.

Then I will take Mia out to the field/park to do her training while Keiko is at home relaxing and happy there's no annoying puppy around. lol

When feeding, I will feed them separately, Keiko is always first, Mia second.

I would say Mia and I have a pretty strong bond so far given that she's only 4 months (I've had her since 8 weeks). I think it's because train her 3 times a day when I feed her. I don't even use her food bowl. I only use interactive toys and training. She works for every bit of kibble. When I take her to the park/field to train, I bring her meal and feed her that way. I will always have treat/kibble in my pockets so when we're going for our walks I will do a bit of leash training at the same time or if we're playing tug of war and I'm teaching her to "drop it", I'll have a treat ready. I'll take any opportunity I can to do some kind of training.

When I took Mia to our first obedience class the trainer was really impressed with how good Mia's focus was. She was very eager to listen, watch and wait for my commands. Her recall is pretty good, she can run 30 feet away from me and as soon as I call her name she bolts back to me. I contribute that to the amount of time spent with her.

To sum up (haha sorry long reply) I think as long as your other dog gets enough time with you first, I wouldn't feel guilty for separating them temporarily to spend more time training/bonding with your pup. It's working for me so far.

Hope that helps?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks YoshiPoshi, the only difference in our situation is that my other dog is only 2 and a half so the 2 of them love palying constantly and I find it hard to separate them.
I think I would have to walk my pup before my older dog because if she was left in the house alone without being tired out first then she would go a bit crazy, she has never been alone since she was born, she always had her siblings until we separated them when we adopted her and now she has took to my dog just like a brother, they are inseperable (after just 2 weeks its crazy). And the fact that shes already 7-8 months old it will be harder to get her used to being on her own.

I suppose I could put tucker in one room and do a little training with her but her attention span is soo short and she isnt always interested in food.
This morning when I opened the front door to go out to the car the 2 of them bolted out - this is something that my dog would NEVER normally do but they were so hyped up playing I think they just lost the run of themselves. Anyway I live in a quiet estate so it was safe enough. My dog came straight back when I called him but Lexi had absolutely no interest in coming back or even reacting to her name at all. She only came back because I started to play with Tucker and she got curious. Very frustrating that I have absolutely no control of her outside of the house. And she has no interest in food or toys outside of the house either which makes training a little more difficult.

Any other ideas of how I could improve this?

·
Banned
18 Posts
Hi Tuxi.

I got two dogs myself and I seperate them all the time to work on them indivdually. No problem doing that.

A good exercise that I dog with both of them is that I take one of them to the side of the room and tell them to sit/lay down and to stay there while I take the other dog and train with him and then I just switch. Works perfectly for me :)

If you don't have any control over her outdoors yet I would start practicing with a long line on her just to make sure that she can't run away or get in trouble somehow, much easier to control her then until you feel like you can trust her off leash :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Tuxi.

I got two dogs myself and I seperate them all the time to work on them indivdually. No problem doing that.

A good exercise that I dog with both of them is that I take one of them to the side of the room and tell them to sit/lay down and to stay there while I take the other dog and train with him and then I just switch. Works perfectly for me :)

If you don't have any control over her outdoors yet I would start practicing with a long line on her just to make sure that she can't run away or get in trouble somehow, much easier to control her then until you feel like you can trust her off leash :)
I have tried this, my other dog has always had a solid stay but its definitely questionable now since we got her because he loves food so much that when he sees her getting treats etc he struggles. I can definitely work on this no problem and get the control back on him but I think it then distracts her too if he is in the room.
I think I will try separate them in different rooms and work on them that way for a while.

I have a long lead - its 5meters and I walk her on that in my local park where I can let my other dog off but even when on this and I call her, she wont even acknowledge me and if she does come back she has no interest in treats so its hard to reward her to entice her to come back again.

Shes a strange little dog and I think being dumped and in kennels all her puppy life has definitely impacted on her bond with humans. In saying that she loves people and attention but she just has no loyalties at all...yet.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks YoshiPoshi, the only difference in our situation is that my other dog is only 2 and a half so the 2 of them love palying constantly and I find it hard to separate them.
I think I would have to walk my pup before my older dog because if she was left in the house alone without being tired out first then she would go a bit crazy, she has never been alone since she was born, she always had her siblings until we separated them when we adopted her and now she has took to my dog just like a brother, they are inseperable (after just 2 weeks its crazy). And the fact that shes already 7-8 months old it will be harder to get her used to being on her own.

I suppose I could put tucker in one room and do a little training with her but her attention span is soo short and she isnt always interested in food.
This morning when I opened the front door to go out to the car the 2 of them bolted out - this is something that my dog would NEVER normally do but they were so hyped up playing I think they just lost the run of themselves. Anyway I live in a quiet estate so it was safe enough. My dog came straight back when I called him but Lexi had absolutely no interest in coming back or even reacting to her name at all. She only came back because I started to play with Tucker and she got curious. Very frustrating that I have absolutely no control of her outside of the house. And she has no interest in food or toys outside of the house either which makes training a little more difficult.

Any other ideas of how I could improve this?
Hmmm that's a tough one when they aren't food/toy motivated. How long have you had Lexi for now? 2 weeks? It'll definitely take some time and consistent persistent training but I would imagine it will take a month or so maybe longer to get that bond between you and Lexi. Mia was the opposite, she was super clingy/borderline separation anxiety cuz I got her at 8 weeks.

I wonder if somehow you could use Tucker as her reward? Like how you said she only came back when she saw you playing with tucker. Next time if she wanders and comes back when you're with tucker, as she's running back say "Lexi come!" And then reward her for coming back?

When I take Mia out to the park/field I have to let her run around first (on a 30 ft lead - I think that's about 9 meters) to tire her out a bit otherwise her recall/listening skills isn't as responsive even though she's pretty food motivated. She just gets too excited to be outside lol

I was gonna suggest maybe use playtime with Tucker as a reward like how my puppy class has a playtime only after the class is done, but that doesn't really help getting to focus during her training.

Mia has a puppy class tmw morning, I'm going to ask the trainer if she has suggestions for a puppy that's not food/toy motivated haha

·
Registered
223 Posts
My advice is to use her meals to train her, instead of treats. Honestly, if she's not food motivated, it's because she's not hungry.

I have never had a problem with food motivation. With a new dog I always make them earn their meals. This means they are training 2-3 times everyday. If they won't work, they don't eat, and we try again in a couple hours. This is not mean and it will not hurt your dog at all. In fact, it will build work ethic, because you dog doesn't just get everything handed to her.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm that's a tough one when they aren't food/toy motivated. How long have you had Lexi for now? 2 weeks? It'll definitely take some time and consistent persistent training but I would imagine it will take a month or so maybe longer to get that bond between you and Lexi. Mia was the opposite, she was super clingy/borderline separation anxiety cuz I got her at 8 weeks.

I wonder if somehow you could use Tucker as her reward? Like how you said she only came back when she saw you playing with tucker. Next time if she wanders and comes back when you're with tucker, as she's running back say "Lexi come!" And then reward her for coming back?

When I take Mia out to the park/field I have to let her run around first (on a 30 ft lead - I think that's about 9 meters) to tire her out a bit otherwise her recall/listening skills isn't as responsive even though she's pretty food motivated. She just gets too excited to be outside lol

I was gonna suggest maybe use playtime with Tucker as a reward like how my puppy class has a playtime only after the class is done, but that doesn't really help getting to focus during her training.

Mia has a puppy class tmw morning, I'm going to ask the trainer if she has suggestions for a puppy that's not food/toy motivated haha
Aww that's sweet, did you ask your dog trainer?
I was supposed to start a puppy obedience class with Lexi last Wednesday but it was postponed until this week. I done loads with her over the weekend and now when on the long lead she will respond to me - most times, maybe 8 out of 10 times I call her. I was giving her pieces of hotdog to entice her to come back aswel as she seems to prefer this over any other treats I have tried so far. Is it ok to feed dogs a small bit of hotdog?

My advice is to use her meals to train her, instead of treats. Honestly, if she's not food motivated, it's because she's not hungry.

I have never had a problem with food motivation. With a new dog I always make them earn their meals. This means they are training 2-3 times everyday. If they won't work, they don't eat, and we try again in a couple hours. This is not mean and it will not hurt your dog at all. In fact, it will build work ethic, because you dog doesn't just get everything handed to her.
Funnily I have been using her breakfast and dinner all weekend to do some training with her. I fed my other dog out in the back garden and took Lexi into the kitchen. I worked on her sit, lie down and stay - which ive gotten to walk 3 steps backwards, and I will continue to lengthen this.

Has anyone here heard of 'Pushing' as a form of training? I tried this a little with Lexi over the wknd too and so far havnt noticed any difference but il give it a week and see then. Feeling a little sceptical to how its supposed to work...

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was supposed to start a puppy obedience class with Lexi last Wednesday but it was postponed until this week. I done loads with her over the weekend and now when on the long lead she will respond to me - most times, maybe 8 out of 10 times I call her. I was giving her pieces of hotdog to entice her to come back aswel as she seems to prefer this over any other treats I have tried so far. Is it ok to feed dogs a small bit of hotdog?
Oh yeah! I almost forgot to post! haha I asked her but she didn't really have anything useful to say lol She basically said start small in an area with no distractions and to use a lead, which you are already doing. :rolleyes:

I would think in small quantities it would be ok, check the sodium content. Generally I'm not a fan of hot dogs, even for human consumption haha. But I'd imagine this is just for training/treats and not part of a regular meal. Eventually you'll be weaning off treats anyway right?

I would cut the hot dogs into the smallest pieces possible to cut down on the quantity she eats. My dogs can't tell the difference between a small size or big size treat. To them, a treat is a treat haha

Glad to see there is progress though!! Isn't it just the best feeling??? :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Give it time. 2 weeks is too short to start over analyzing training. I think for now, just take a step back and work on building a bond with her first (separate from your other dog). You might find that once you begin to build the bond and continue to reinforce it, you will be able to see what interests her and then use that for training in the near future. In a multi-dog household, teaching the dogs to be able to be separated from one another is highly recommended. I find with certain dogs, there is no use in training if there is no bond. Some dogs are different than others.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would think in small quantities it would be ok, check the sodium content. Generally I'm not a fan of hot dogs, even for human consumption haha. But I'd imagine this is just for training/treats and not part of a regular meal. Eventually you'll be weaning off treats anyway right?

I would cut the hot dogs into the smallest pieces possible to cut down on the quantity she eats. My dogs can't tell the difference between a small size or big size treat. To them, a treat is a treat haha

Glad to see there is progress though!! Isn't it just the best feeling??? :D
I am only using a half a hot dog for her whole walk - cut up into tiny pieces, like your dogs, mine are the same, they don't care about the size of the treat at all so long as they're getting something.
its the best feeling ever. I was working with her this morning using her breakfast and I could get her to sit and stay and then walk about 4 big steps backwards and tell her to lie down and stay until I got back over to her with a handful of food. She was doing it perfect - which goes to show, shes a very smart dog, its just hard to get through to her sometimes. I think in future il just make sure shes hungry before I do any training with her.

Give it time. 2 weeks is too short to start over analyzing training. I think for now, just take a step back and work on building a bond with her first (separate from your other dog). You might find that once you begin to build the bond and continue to reinforce it, you will be able to see what interests her and then use that for training in the near future. In a multi-dog household, teaching the dogs to be able to be separated from one another is highly recommended. I find with certain dogs, there is no use in training if there is no bond. Some dogs are different than others.
I know 2 weeks is short, I keep forgetting :eyeroll: . I do feel like there is a bond there in some ways but then when we leave the house for a walk it seems to disappear. I havnt had any opportunities to walk her alone yet and am planning on doing that this week. I kind of just wanted her to settle in a bit first before I go separating them more and more and I am so happy with the bond that they have both developed, I couldn't be prouder of them both.

Also I was thinking last night, she has come a long way in 2 weeks, she now asks to go outside when she needs to go toilet. She has stopped chewing and destroying things when left alone. She has a solid sit, lie down and stay command. She is learning 'leave it'. She knows that shes not allowed jump up to see whats on the counters etc - took a few days to break this one. She is getting used to our routine and has learnt to sit and wait patiently while I put her harness on for our walks.

Reactions: yoshiposhi

·
Registered
884 Posts

Has anyone here heard of 'Pushing' as a form of training? I tried this a little with Lexi over the wknd too and so far havnt noticed any difference but il give it a week and see then. Feeling a little sceptical to how its supposed to work...
I don't buy in to theory (I am more than skeptical about that), but I do use the exercise. It is easy for an untrained dog to 'get' which makes it stress free, it builds trust and confidence, especially for a dog that is reluctant/or unsure of getting too close to you. I use it as an exercise when my guy is too wound up to concentrate obedience or tricks, and it can become a pleasant dog/owner interaction on a walk where otherwise the dogs goals and your own are at odds. (as in, dog "OMG! Geese!! Wow! Want! Yipe, Six O-clock, scary dog! RUn? Fight? Squirrel, Squirrel, Squirrel", owner, "ow, my arm, omg, this is embarrassing, what's wrong with my dog, help, car, I don't want him to get hit by a car, ow, my arm")

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as in, dog "OMG! Geese!! Wow! Want! Yipe, Six O-clock, scary dog! RUn? Fight? Squirrel, Squirrel, Squirrel", owner, "ow, my arm, omg, this is embarrassing, what's wrong with my dog, help, car, I don't want him to get hit by a car, ow, my arm")
:lmao:
This made me giggle.
I have stopped doing this so called pushing as I genuinely didn't feel it was doing anything BUT I do think it helped her understand that it is me giving her food, not just her bowl and for this reason I think it has helped us bond a little more.

She has started to wag her tail when I walk into a room which she didn't do for her 1st whole week in the house, she just wasn't bothered. And she has started to run and greet us when we come in the front door - which again she didn't do for the 1st week or so.
I have to keep reminding myself that we only have her a little over 2 weeks and that so far she has done really well.
we have our 1st puppy obedience class this evening and im really looking forward to it!:)

Reactions: Artdog

·
Registered
884 Posts
:lmao:
This made me giggle.
I have stopped doing this so called pushing as I genuinely didn't feel it was doing anything BUT I do think it helped her understand that it is me giving her food, not just her bowl and for this reason I think it has helped us bond a little more.

She has started to wag her tail when I walk into a room which she didn't do for her 1st whole week in the house, she just wasn't bothered. And she has started to run and greet us when we come in the front door - which again she didn't do for the 1st week or so.
I have to keep reminding myself that we only have her a little over 2 weeks and that so far she has done really well.
we have our 1st puppy obedience class this evening and im really looking forward to it!:)
It's okay to giggle, but sometimes seeing things from your dogs point of view is a really good exercise, and understanding our own needs is important too. You haven't had her very long, so she's probably still pretty nervous about everything, even you. Sounds like trust is building.
I know it takes me 3 months to sort of settle in to a new situation (job, move, etc) and a full year for everything to feel normal. It's probably like that for dogs.
I enjoy the pushing exercise for myself too, it's active physical contact with Sonic, fun. He is not always in the mood to play so it makes a substitute for that.
Have fun in your puppy class!

Reactions: Tuxi
1 - 14 of 14 Posts