Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been training my now 8 month pom so far he has mastered sit. I am trying to show him come but have had great dificulty so far. I have been teaching him by telling him to sit (& using a visual hand signal) then clearly staying "stay" (& a visual hand signal) and taking a step back and calling him with " come snuggles" (& a visual hand signal). When i use the come command he either stares at me blinkly or doesnt hold still. Does anyone know a more effective way of teaching come? Or should I just keep doing what I am doing now?

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I always trained come everywhere, anywhere, and at any time. The reason is you don't want to set up a behavior train for come, you don't want a dog to think come only means come after you tell it to sit and stay. It's always good to mix up and vary the order you give commands to prevent that.

To teach come I'd start in the house in a quiet room so that I'm the most interesting thing around, and the dog is more likely to come to me, have some treats on me but out of sight of the dog, or a favorite toy that I'd only use for training if the dog was more toy motivated, and then call Shadow (my dog's name) come (or whatever recall word or whistle I wanted to use) when I already had his attention then click (or marker word) and treat when he came. Remember I'm the most interesting thing in that room. If necessary I'd get on the floor and pat my lap, or something like that to encourage him to come to me. I'd do that till he was consistently coming to me, knowing that he'll get one of those tasty treats. Then I'd move to different rooms in the house where more distractions are and repeat the training till he was solid in those rooms, then move on to the backyard where the distractions are greater, then the front yard, then a park, or busy street. As the distractions increase I'd increase the value of the treats.

Short version,

1. Mix up the order of the commands to keep her from forming a behavioral pattern, and teach come as a separate command.

2. Start with little to no distractions so that you are the most interesting thing in the room, then after she's solid with come with no distractions start moving to places with ever increasing distractions.

3. Use treats, or a toy only used for training, and increase the value of the treat as you increase the distractions. Keep the treats out of sight so that you don't have a dog that'll only obey if she sees you have a treat in your hand.

Reactions: Wild

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your dog has no clue what you want. You tell him to sit and stay, he does. Now what?

I would cheerfully call him when I think he's going to come to me anyway, and give him a little food treat when he does. When you are outside and he's bouncing around, clap your hands or your leg, something to get him to come to you and as he comes running to you give him his clue, "Snuggles, come." in a normal tone of voice. Praise and treat. I train my dogs to follow me to the leg pat. This is different from come, it's more like "I'm going this way and so are you". Come is to come to me while I'm stationary, and if I'm training the dog for better control it means to come and sit front and center.

Your dog may not come to you for "come" because you've been using it and he seems to think it means "sit there and be confused", so you might want to use another word, like "here".

1 - 3 of 3 Posts