Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the basic idea of teaching a large dog not to jump up on people. But I am struggling with making it work on a small dog?

My dog Trixie gets very excited when my husband comes home or wakes up. She chases after him jumping up nonstop against the back of his legs. This ofcourse isn't fun for him, it sometimes hurts and is a tripping accident waiting to happen.

She never does this to me btw. But sometimes she does jump when on others when they come over.

My idea would be to start off having her sit/lay down and wait when she sees him. Then being released and go to him without jumping. But I don't want him to have to get on the floor. How do I get her to understand not to jump?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Zody's never been a jumper, but Shadow was.

Shadow was a 24 lb, 1 1/2 foot tall at the shoulders, and he had springs in his legs. What I did to teach him to not jump on me was to completely ignore all jumping on me for attention. He learned that jumping on me got him completely ignored, jumping next to me I didn't care about and would still talk to him but not pet him, if he kept all 4 paws on the ground I'd pet or play with him. Since I did that from the time he was a puppy, I never had any real issue with him jumping on me as an adult.

For Kuma it may be faster and easier to ignore the jumping completely, and if he knows sit give the sit cue and pay attention to him when he sits (the attention will be the reward). If he jumps up when you bend to pet him stand back up and ignore him for a couple seconds before turning back around and giving the sit cue again. It's a modified version of what I did for Shadow's jumping up when I tried to put the food bowl down, he was supposed to sit but at times would get to excited and jump, if he jumped I'd stand back up and not put the food down, and wait for him to sit.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts