Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing about 2-3 training sessions per day for about 10 minutes each. This seems to work for my dog. At around 10 minutes she starts just throwing out tricks to get treats without being asked for them. At that point we usually stop because it's just a waste of time.

What does everyone here do? How long/how often?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I and my family do training very often during the day (20 sessions and more) but really short, mostly under 5 minutes often just asking for one thing we're working on, reward and then do something else.
Sancho doesn't do well with long training sessions.

I think it depends on the dogs and on the humans ability to focus and concentrate.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't tend to do training sessions as such as it sounds silly but I think it puts both Jax and I under pressure, instead we 'train' wherever and whenever! I think it's called 'shaping' but I like to watch for the behaviour I like and make a big fuss of it, rather than have specific time slots for things, I always tell Jax we're all done so that he knows when to relax again and I find for a dog that loves to work, it keeps him on his toes and tires him out which is a bonus! It also teaches you to look for the behaviour you want in your dog, rather than the habit we all make sometimes of focusing on what they're NOT doing!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I agree that it depends on the dog and owner. Kuma is my failed foster. We believe he was raised with table scraps because we can leave kibble in his bowl all day and he won't touch it until after he knows no one else is eating anymore.

That being said, his high value treats are boiled meats. And a value treat is kibble slightly soaked in some kind of boiled broth.(this varies on what was boiled.). His low value is dog treats from the boxes and bags and his really low value is kibble plain.)

That being said, I can't have him be on a training schedule because if we were, he would never eat his kibble. So our trainings are surprises for him.

We train the most 5 minutes at a time. Sometimes we might train all day at various times. Some times its only three times or less a day. Basically, he never knows when training will start. When starved himself all day, he will eat in the afternoons and we would do training about 10 to 15 minutes after. But I don't do this all the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As I have several dogs in the house, I have to set aside a few minutes several times a day to train Bonnie who is almost five months old as I have to do it in a separate part of the house.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I work with my dogs randomly throughout the day. I like to keep it quick and fun, 5-10 minutes at the most. I usually usually have two to three sessions were I take one dog aside and introduce something new. The other times it's "group training" where either both dogs work at the same time or one waits a couple of meters away and works on patience.
I do some quick practices out on the field to. We have three acres where one dog can run off leash and the other dog is on a long line. Here we work on impulse control and recalls. I do some heeling and BH training when I have a single dog out with me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts