Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all of you who think that older canines can not learn tricks...My husky mix is 15 now and she learnt a new trick today,in one training session! She does need some practice but shes doing good. I taught her kiss,where she touches her nose to mine.

You can teach seniors new tricks if they aren't so bad that they cant get up and stuff... but it may take a little longer and you have to have more patience with them. They may not be able to do things like sit pretty and tricks that hurt their joints but mine knows kiss,down,place (goes to bed),half (she lays on her side),sit,shake,high five,wave,back up,leave it,find it (finds treats under cup) and a few more that i forgot :eyeroll: :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I wish I could still train my 13 year old! Believe me I've tried, but she both doesn't care and doesn't get it. But then again, knowing her, it would have been just as difficult as a puppy. Her brain is not the largest lol.

Old dogs can learn though! My roommate rescued a 10 year old gsd and he's learned a lot. Sounds like you have a smart dog!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I was teaching new things to my previous dog right up until he died at 13 (large breed, so he was quite old).

I think this attitude about old dogs and new tricks stems from an overall attitude about the elderly. When I tell people I work with an 82-year-old paralegal who jumps right on new technology with excitement, they act like I just said I'm George Washington and I have 6 arms and 2 heads and rode to work on a unicorn. It's disturbing, really.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.