Dog Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some help in regards to working out my training plan for my golden gall, will be getting her from 8-12 weeks of age. It's a very overwhelming thing to try and work out on my own and I am fearful of doing something wrong and ruining that dog's ability to be a great companion and service animal, which is the reason I'm getting her. I will be crate training her, and will not be clicker training. Those are two things that I've decided. I'm aware that socialization and exposure are extremely important, especially due to the fact that she will be accompanying me in most places at an older age. But due to my inexperience in dog training, I am left in a subpar position, and unsure where to start

To summarise, I would like some help, or advice in creating a training plan to ensure my pup has the best chance to become her best self, live her best life, and help me live mine

Side note, name ideas would be well appreciated to. All I've got atm is Squishy, or Maze

· Registered
1,266 Posts
I'm curious as to why you're not clicker training? Or, do you just prefer marker training? What kind are you doing?

The first few weeks, so 8-12 weeks, I would just focus on letting her settle in and bond with you, learn her name. The key step at this point is building the foundations for a confident dog; not bombarding her into advanced training. Same with socializing her. It's not about throwing her into the face of everything she comes across. Rather, new things happen and are not scary or worth being alarmed about. I recommend looking up Kikopup on YouTube, reading "Inspiring Resilience in Fearful and Reactive Dogs" [even though she is neither at this time] and "On Talking Terms with Dogs." I'd also encourage you to get in touch with service dog trainers (particularly self trainers) via Facebook groups and blogs.

Does your breeder know she is a service dog prospect?

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, my preference would be marker training, as that seems like it would be the easiest for me to work with. As well as I tend to misplace things, and would do so with the clicker, so that wouldn't really work for me. And I think we would probably be getting her closer to 12 weeks, and I've heard there's sort of a window for exposure and socialization? Correct me if I'm wrong though, I've not gone too deep into researching things as of yet.

And I'll give the channel a look over, and watch/read (unsure which was meant,I suckkk at understanding things) and I will try and get in touch with a service dog trainer, I plan to get help training her later on down the track with the more complex stuff

· Registered
1,266 Posts
There are several windows, the ones at 12 and 16 weeks being some of the most important. Getting her at 12 should be perfectly fine, and you'll still have a month to go of that birth-16 week window. And the socialization process is ongoing.

I was suggesting watch Kikopup's training videos, and read the book titles. And to also read blogs from people who do and have trained service dogs from puppies. Just to help make sure you are building her foundations correctly; especially since you are new to all of this.

The reason I asked if your breeder knows is because the temperament and some other requirements are different from between a pet puppy and a service dog prospect.

· Registered
679 Posts
Here's a good article on puppy socialization. Obviously you don't have to do everything, but it gives a good perspective on what socialization (aka exposure) should look like:

· Super Moderator
8,492 Posts
The link in the post above is OK as examples of the sort of things a dog should be exposed to, but what I don't think it makes clear is that this should be done without scaring them - like throwing towels over their head. It should be like a game.

But why on earth does that blogger call her page the Naughty Dogge? It starts the reader off on the wrong perspective. When dogs do something we don't like, it's because they don't understand what we want, or they find something else more rewarding. Dogs aren't 'naughty ', they do what brings them the biggest rewards.

Anyway, rant over. @Isis03, two other useful articles for you. The first is on bringing a new puppy into your home, the second on crate training (its a long read, but it is excellent).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.