Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
316 Posts
Yay, a training nerd in the making!! I also trained lots of other animals before (and after) getting my first dog...cats, rats, fish, ferrets, and basically anything else that wandered past. Clicker training is fuuuuun.

You can actually use a clicker if you want. In multiple learner households/classes, the animals figure out pretty quickly who is "earning" the click. But it can be handy to have multiple markers too. Just make sure you charge whatever you choose really well to start! You can use a verbal marker (say "click" or any other word you like), a visual marker (point at the subject kitty's face, or give him a big thumbs up, or other signal you prefer), or even a tactile marker (touch the subject kitty on the paw or other chosen body part). It really just depends on what kind of signal works best for you and is sufficiently unique/special that you won't accidentally find yourself doing it in other situations.

For training two animals at once, I suggest starting with a stationing or "perch" exercise. Teach each kitty a "place" to hang out while you're working with the other. The place should be comfortable, and also very well-defined (a stool, for instance, or raised platform). As you're working with one of them, reinforce the other one at irregular intervals just for hanging out in place, then switch. Like this, but with kitties! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRrBH_beX8

If you do need to close one out of the room while you're training the other, maybe give the shut-out something fun to do? Stuffed Kongs aren't just for dogs ;)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.