Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm waiting till January to get a dog, in the meantime, I have cats. I wanted to practice with my cats, but two at once is turning into mayhem. I cannot concentrate, timing is awful, they are busy chasing each others treats....

So I try one at time. That's just as bad, as the buddy is at the door howling, and the trainee is distracted by the buddies distress, and of course I feel mean.

I'm not using a clicker or sound that I plan to use for New Dog because I want to train New Dog indoors without mayhem, but my special cat click sound sucks, it just does (experiment fail). I might try pen clicking for them, which hopefully won't sound too much like a clicker, but doesn't solve how in heck do I manage keeping the non-trainee happy. Any thoughts?

The problem will still be there when I get New Dog. My cat training goals at the very least would be a mat/place so I can use training to help them all get used to each other, but the little experiment I tried makes me think Simba could be awesome if I gave him half a chance and Batman needs some of the confidence boost that clicker training provides.
They are super bonded and do everything together.
Apologies for being technically off topic, cat training, but I don't think it would be much different with bonded dogs except the howling might be louder.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Yay, a training nerd in the making!! I also trained lots of other animals before (and after) getting my first dog...cats, rats, fish, ferrets, and basically anything else that wandered past. Clicker training is fuuuuun.

You can actually use a clicker if you want. In multiple learner households/classes, the animals figure out pretty quickly who is "earning" the click. But it can be handy to have multiple markers too. Just make sure you charge whatever you choose really well to start! You can use a verbal marker (say "click" or any other word you like), a visual marker (point at the subject kitty's face, or give him a big thumbs up, or other signal you prefer), or even a tactile marker (touch the subject kitty on the paw or other chosen body part). It really just depends on what kind of signal works best for you and is sufficiently unique/special that you won't accidentally find yourself doing it in other situations.

For training two animals at once, I suggest starting with a stationing or "perch" exercise. Teach each kitty a "place" to hang out while you're working with the other. The place should be comfortable, and also very well-defined (a stool, for instance, or raised platform). As you're working with one of them, reinforce the other one at irregular intervals just for hanging out in place, then switch. Like this, but with kitties! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRrBH_beX8

If you do need to close one out of the room while you're training the other, maybe give the shut-out something fun to do? Stuffed Kongs aren't just for dogs ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, loved the video.
Also, just found a mini-kong while going through a life-time collection of dog gear (have no idea why I have a mini-kong, all my dogs were gsd's) but I'll stuff and freeze tonight. I think I still would prefer 1-1 sessions if I can get away with it.
Then teach multi as in the video.

Yay, a training nerd in the making!! I also trained lots of other animals before (and after) getting my first dog...cats, rats, fish, ferrets, and basically anything else that wandered past. Clicker training is fuuuuun.

You can actually use a clicker if you want. In multiple learner households/classes, the animals figure out pretty quickly who is "earning" the click. But it can be handy to have multiple markers too. Just make sure you charge whatever you choose really well to start! You can use a verbal marker (say "click" or any other word you like), a visual marker (point at the subject kitty's face, or give him a big thumbs up, or other signal you prefer), or even a tactile marker (touch the subject kitty on the paw or other chosen body part). It really just depends on what kind of signal works best for you and is sufficiently unique/special that you won't accidentally find yourself doing it in other situations.

For training two animals at once, I suggest starting with a stationing or "perch" exercise. Teach each kitty a "place" to hang out while you're working with the other. The place should be comfortable, and also very well-defined (a stool, for instance, or raised platform). As you're working with one of them, reinforce the other one at irregular intervals just for hanging out in place, then switch. Like this, but with kitties! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfRrBH_beX8

If you do need to close one out of the room while you're training the other, maybe give the shut-out something fun to do? Stuffed Kongs aren't just for dogs ;)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Maybe you should start by training that separation is okay :) It's always the behaviours that help us the most that we don't really want to train, because they're less fun. But the benefits are hugely rewarding once you can do fun tricks after, quietly and individually.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe you should start by training that separation is okay :) It's always the behaviours that help us the most that we don't really want to train, because they're less fun. But the benefits are hugely rewarding once you can do fun tricks after, quietly and individually.
I am wondering that; we adopted them as a "bonded pair", and maybe they're a tad too dependant on one another.
Frozen kong did not work, thawing it for tomorrow. Simba can work with Batman howling at the door, but Batman is still distracted with Simba locked out, and he's the one with the shy issues. I'm hoping kong works. I would like Batman to have more confidence before we bring a dog in.

And heck, here's a pic.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
When we were training Thoroughbreds, you could not have a dog at the track where we stayed. I raised a Mallard duck and had him leash broken, he would come when he was called when he was flying as I did not clip his wings. He followed me everywhere and used to nip the heels on the horses when I was putting them into their stalls. They did an article on him on TV. He would chase the cats. I had him till he was five years old when he got poisoned from some Rat poison someone put out. So I guess you can train cats too.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I am wondering that; we adopted them as a "bonded pair", and maybe they're a tad too dependant on one another.
Frozen kong did not work, thawing it for tomorrow. Simba can work with Batman howling at the door, but Batman is still distracted with Simba locked out, and he's the one with the shy issues. I'm hoping kong works. I would like Batman to have more confidence before we bring a dog in.

And heck, here's a pic.
[/URL][/IMG]
:D Adorable. It's tough to find the right balance so just keep trekking and you'll get there :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When we were training Thoroughbreds, you could not have a dog at the track where we stayed. I raised a Mallard duck and had him leash broken, he would come when he was called when he was flying as I did not clip his wings. He followed me everywhere and used to nip the heels on the horses when I was putting them into their stalls. They did an article on him on TV. He would chase the cats. I had him till he was five years old when he got poisoned from some Rat poison someone put out. So I guess you can train cats too.
Wow, that's a fascinating story. Sorry about the bad ending. Do you know how long a mallard would live in the wild? Sounds like he was bonded to you, seeing a bird fly in when you call his name must have been awesome.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How to Adopt a Dog if You Already Have a Cat
How to Adopt a Dog if You Already Have a Cat | Top Dog Tips

you may get information you need in this article

And for dog leash: MIU PET
Thanks. Cat safety should always be #1 and the article spells that out. Too many folks think 'let them work it out' is good advice (only if your cat is lucky).

In our house there is 'cat land' (room/s forbidden to dogs) and 'cat time' when the dog is either out with us or behind a barrier (a door, a baby gate' or in a crate). Introductions start on a leash, move towards supervised only, and eventually, dog roams free in the house when we are home and awake (I've never gone beyond that).

Dynamo was a terror when we brought her home (high prey drive) but she turned into Riker's best buddy. Takes time and training.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks, just updating, problem resolved, and this was indeed the answer. Howling at the door is fading in both cats. Both cats are 'working'/attentive to the training without the presence of the other cat.

Seeing Batman able to manage on his own is awesome, he really needs this.

Bonus: purring!!! yes, they purr during the session (guessing that's the feline equivalent of tail wagging)

If a moderator wants to whoosh this into the 'cats' subforum, that's fine, or leave it here is fine, as I doubt dog buddies would present much differently (minus the purring).

Thanks all.

Reactions: Kwenami

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
Okay, thanks, just updating, problem resolved, and this was indeed the answer. Howling at the door is fading in both cats. Both cats are 'working'/attentive to the training without the presence of the other cat.

Seeing Batman able to manage on his own is awesome, he really needs this.

Bonus: purring!!! yes, they purr during the session (guessing that's the feline equivalent of tail wagging)

If a moderator wants to whoosh this into the 'cats' subforum, that's fine, or leave it here is fine, as I doubt dog buddies would present much differently (minus the purring).

Thanks all.
So glad this worked for you :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts