Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
I think that because of CM lots of people confuse assertive training with fear and abuse...they couldn't be more wrong. Unfortunately some people think that if you're not always talking clickers and treats, than you're and abuser, which is also wrong. I use which ever method gets the reaction that I'm looking for with a dog...With my shi tzu treats work great, as with a lot of small dogs, she is slightly timid so there is no need for me to assert myself over her, however with my bulldog I use a more assertive approach because with a dog of her size and strength I have NO room for error. I have to be 100% certain that I am in control of her in public places, and when she is really excited and worked up, she could care less about a treat.
I also agree with comments saying to read up on quadrants of learning.
When you say 'assertive' it actually has no meaning in terms of learning. I think I have an 'assertive tone' when I ask for a sit then I treat the sit. It doesn't mean I have been overly aggressive in my tone.

I also agree that you use whatever method works for the particular dog in that particular circumstance. PR, NR, PP and NP all work. If they didn't work they wouldn't be included in the quadrants of learning.
HOWEVER! generally (scientifically) PR is the most effective and quickest quadrant offering longevity in its results. This isn't because it is airy fairy and "all clickers and treats", it's because neurotransmitters in the animals brain stimulate desired responses faster when they earn rewards.

If my dog is getting too excited and worked up to the point where I don't have control (which DOES happen, don't get me wrong) then I haven't done my job right. It is the situation that needs to be kept under control, not the dogs reactions...

· Registered
220 Posts
I tell my dogs no. They also don't cower in fear. But in terms of learning that is called a punishment. Not because my dogs run away and hide but because being 'told off' reduces the chance that they will do that behaviour again. You are attaching too much meaning to these labels because you haven't read up on operant conditioning.
I am of the belief that if the training you choose to use works for you and your dog then go for it :) I am not a pure PR handler. Your dog doesn't seem like a danger to anyone and I assume she is a happy dog so it really doesn't matter what techniques different people would use IMO :)

· Registered
220 Posts
It might not be considerably intimidating. But it is aversive. If it were not aversive then your dog would not stop doing whatever she is doing at the time...

· Registered
220 Posts
There is absolutely no reason at all why PR wouldn't work for a dangerous dog. These techniques are the leading techniques in the animal training world. If I can train a lion with a clicker I can sure as heck train a dog lol :)

I wouldn't call PR a 'cure all' or 'magic' but I wouldn't call any other approach to training that either... Being 'assertive' (as you call your approach) most definitely shows no evidence (scientific or otherwise) of being more of a 'cure all' or any more 'magic'. Quite the opposite.

As far as rehabilitation, I think some dogs require a much more knowledgeable hand. That doesn't mean firmer or harder. But someone who understand the laws of learning extremely well and has experience with dangerous dogs. If the dog makes huge steps forwards (which I believe that it would under the right circumstances) it will still need continued education and the right handler for the rest of its life. This is not about type of training. This is about keeping a dangerous dog in the right environment

· Registered
220 Posts
Yes it works in all situations. Not because it's magic or special. But because it is a LAW of learning! All quadrants will work that is their purpose.
The reason we use PR above all others is because it is the most efficient and safest way to teach a dog absolutely anything... whether that is tricks or confidence building etc.
I could teach my dog everything using PP but he would be a nervous wreck who hates life at the end of it... I don't want that lol.
PR works all the time because if an animal has a functioning brain it can't NOT learn lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.