Dog Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I would not suggest paracord, it is very light and strong but it gives you terrible rope burn and gets tangled very easily. It is a pain to untangle too.
That's one of my problems with the flexi lead and why I made the temporary training lead. Nearly all Zody's undercarriage is naked, and when I try to keep the flexi leash loose so he doesn't have to pull I run the risk of it tangling around him and giving him rope burns. Making matters worse is that the one he has is a cheap one and doesn't even have the regular type ribbon leash before the cord part.

·
Registered
22,639 Posts
Nope the yard isn't fenced. Back when I had Jersey and Shadow I had an electric fence, I hated the thing. Then when Shadow went blind the fence was off but the wires served as a guide to keep him in the yard. I had an ex pen when I was spending time out there and couldn't keep a strict eye on him. In the end I just kept him on leash and pretty much kept him inside except for potty breaks and very short walks. I'm buying another ex pen and will couple it with the old one, that should give Zody a good bit of room to hang out in when I can't watch him on the lead. He LOVES it outside.

I live on 5 acres I want the training lead so he can explore but stay safe.

How do you keep your cat from tangling the leash on the zip line? Any Zip line I set up for Zody has a very good chance of the leash getting tangled.
the clothes line is long... maybe 30 ft i think, and its tied as high as i can reach standing (i'm 5'11'') at both ends, one is outside my front door, and the other end is near my sister's back door. then i clip a carabiner to the handle of the flexi, then i clip it to the line. the carabiner slides on the clothes line. the flexi is 16' i think. that gives him run of about half the yard. in the summer, i just leave the flexi attached to the clothes line, and its lone enough that he can come inside the front door. if i'm inside, i have big windows to keep an eye on him from.

i do something similar with the dogs when i take them out places and want to tether them to something. gives them some freedom, but keeps them secure.

i'd say that so long as the line is above him, you wouldn't have a problem... ooo and you could play games like fetch with him more easily like that!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rain, What about just poly rope from a home improvement (or department store)? I use those for long lines and they are super cheap and durable. Something around 3/8" diameter would be a great weight for him (I use bigger). I just tie a snap to it.
I'll check that out to, and stay away from the paracord.

The clip I'm using right now came from the ex pen and is really light and small, perfect for Zody:thumbsup:

I'm trying to figure out why pet product manufactures don't seem to think that toy breeds need training leads. Maybe they think that everyone just carries them everywhere?:ponder:

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
the clothes line is long... maybe 30 ft i think, and its tied as high as i can reach standing (i'm 5'11'') at both ends, one is outside my front door, and the other end is near my sister's back door. then i clip a carabiner to the handle of the flexi, then i clip it to the line. the carabiner slides on the clothes line. the flexi is 16' i think. that gives him run of about half the yard. in the summer, i just leave the flexi attached to the clothes line, and its lone enough that he can come inside the front door. if i'm inside, i have big windows to keep an eye on him from.

i do something similar with the dogs when i take them out places and want to tether them to something. gives them some freedom, but keeps them secure.

i'd say that so long as the line is above him, you wouldn't have a problem... ooo and you could play games like fetch with him more easily like that!
My BC has to be tethered outside because she is an awful terrible creature (;)), and her tie-out is set up kind of like this. Our clothesline isn't as long but same basic concept. It works out nicely.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looks like I'll probably be making one, I think it'll be easier.

I'm looking at Web Master Harnesses on Amazon, thinking about blowing my points on one LOL. Where exactly is the girth on a dog? The smallest harness they have is XXS fits girths 13-17". If I measured right, and I'm not sure I did, Zody's girth is 14 1/2" that means once he loses some weight the harness will probably still fit if I put it as small as possible. Since it cost over $50 I really don't want to get it and risk it being to large or not fitting right once he loses the extra weight.

Should I just get a cheap harness and wait to get the webmaster? He doesn't care for walking on his collar, probably because the clasp ends up hitting his legs even when I do my best to keep it over his back, a harness will fix that problem.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
The girth is the vertical circumference behind his front legs/elbows, typically the deepest part of his chest. :)

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
Is he a houdini? I know people who swear by their Webmasters, but for everyday/all day use, I really like the Puppia style harnesses (around $20). They are super comfortable, keep pressure off the neck pretty well, and disperse the force if he pulls against it pretty gently over his chest.

·
Registered
10,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Is he a houdini? I know people who swear by their Webmasters, but for everyday/all day use, I really like the Puppia style harnesses (around $20). They are super comfortable, keep pressure off the neck pretty well, and disperse the force if he pulls against it pretty gently over his chest.
I was measuring a little behind the actual girth then:rolleyes:

I'll check that one out to! I don't know if he's a true Houdini but he did get a leg out of the harness he came with, I don't know if that's because it doesn't fit him properly, if it's because he's overweight, or if he's just an escape artist when it comes to harnesses.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Our dollar stores carry long leads in their pet sections. They are about 1/2" wide and are not as heavy duty as the regular leash webbing. Do you have one near you that you can check out? For a buck or two, you can't go wrong and you can always put on your own clips if you don't like what it comes with.

·
Banned
17 Posts
I would recommend a slip lead. You can get ones that have small tabs to limit how tight and how far you want them to go so they don't choke your dog but they won't slip out either. They are thin light weight and have no bolt. If you don't like that idea there are also leads with a snap clip instead of a bolt which are a bit lighter.You should also check out online dog shops specially made for small and toy breed dogs.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts